New heating system Thermal store help! | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss New heating system Thermal store help! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jad30

Sorry for the long post but here goes:

I have a heat only boiler that is 20 years old, is very noisy but works. The gas check I have had in the last 2 years has show it is now longer efficient and I should consider a new boiler.

I have been think about this as I would like to lose the big water tank in the loft for more space.
But I would like to keep the hot water cylinder in the airing cupboard, as the electric immersion heater can give me hot water if the boiler breaks down which it has done 4 times in 20 years.

I don't want a Combi boiler as if it breaks down I will lose out on being able to get hot water as there is no hot water cylinder.

So I have being thinking of getting a new heat only boiler with either a Megaflow tank (or equivalent) or a Thermal store cylinder with a backup electric immersion heater on both options.

But the Megaflow system sounds dangerous due to the pressurized tank with the airing cupboard being in the centre of the house, so I'm now thinking more along the road of a Thermal store cylinder using the gas boiler as the heat source and this would also give me mains pressured hot water.

I have no previous knowledge of thermal store or how efficient it is, or how good the hot water will be when it's -5c or colder outside.

So does anyone here have a Thermal store cylinder and can answers any of my questions?

Just to add it's a 2 bedroom house with 1 bathroom, 6 radiators and we both work 9-5 5 days a week, so we only need heat and water in mornings and evenings and weekends.

Thanks for any help or alternative suggestions.

Providing that you have sufficient flow and pressure a correctly installed unvented cylinder is your best bet. Couple this with a system boiler.

A thermal store would be overkill for what you want unless you're considering going down the renewable heat source route in the future.

You need a suitably qualified gsr with a g3 ticket to give you a quote based on your accommodation.

Thermal store with just gas ££££££.

Unvented all the way, as long as flows and pressures are upto spec. Megaflow is a no from me. Better products on the market. May want to consider twin coil though for addition of solar at a later date.

Why change what you are happy with?

Nothing wrong with an open vent boiler and cylinder. Replace the boiler and if necessary, replace the cylinder like for like.

O.k, just read you want the space. First things first, make sure you have the flow for mains presure hot water, you may not have a choice.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Sorry I made the wrong assumption! The gas...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Lower running costs for one ,size it for the...
Replies
Views
Sorry to bump this up, but can anyone can help me?
Replies
Views
  • Question
I have two rads upstairs connected exactly the...
Replies
Views
According to the manufacturer's information OV...
Replies
Views
Back