New home - can't work hot water! | Gaining Plumbing Experience | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss New home - can't work hot water! in the Gaining Plumbing Experience area at Plumbers Forums

I

ivrytwr3

Just moved into new home and no manuals have been left by previous occupant. Looking around the house i have found:

1. A gloworm ultimate boiler in the garage

2. A tank in the airing cupboard that has 1 wall mounted switch coming from near the top of the tank and 1 wall mounted switch coming from near the bottom of the tank (both are switched off).

3. A programmable timer in the airing cupboard.

I have programed the timer and we get hot radiators, but when we turn on the hot water tap, all we get is cold water.

Any help on what heating system we have and how to get hot water?!

---------------

and upon further inspection!

In the airing cupboard is

1. Dabfoss 103E7 timer - this works and controls the radiators

2. 2 x electric switches to the tank - when i turn both of these on, i do get hot water.

In the garage is:

1. 1 x Gloworm ultimate boiler.

The boiler has 2 x pipes at the top of the boiler and are hot. There is one pipe running alongside the boiler and into the underneath of it, which is cold.

The boiler fires up and is hot.

----------------

Why do i not get hot water if both immersion switches are off? Should i have these switched on all the time, just one of them? (if so, top one or bottom one?!)

The boiler in our last house controlled heating and water and was easy to use, this one has me stumped!

Any help would be very much appeciated!

do you have 2 or 4 copper pipes to the hot water cylinder?

Sounds like you have 2 immersion heaters, one is likely to be on Economy 7 timed to heat overnight, the other for topup.

I bet you only have 2 copper pipes, and its electric hot water.

OK, i have just spoken to the previous owner's. They tell me that that the timer was constantly set to 'on' and this kept the radiators on only.

And the top switch for the immersion heater was kept switched 'on' and this kept a constant supply of water.

you have an indirect gravity fed HW system . like i mentioned in a previous thread of yours do not use the top immersion as it is knackered get it replaced before you use the top switch. switch the bottom switch on and it should if its working properly start to heat your HW cylinder up!

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Instant heater will have poor flow rate...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Yeah will deffo try I’ve got a strong magnet...
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
They were quite accurate IMO and might look...
Replies
Views
Back