New house with back boiler and immersion tank - very confusing!! | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss New house with back boiler and immersion tank - very confusing!! in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Rosiecorbett

I hope someone can help so our house has a back boiler behind the gas fire. We have an immersion heater which has a switch outside which says "immersion heater" then one inside the cupboard which says "central heating leave on" so we've left both switches on

How on earth does it all work? There's a timer but everything's switched off as in heating and hot water. We're still getting hot water and its scalding. I just don't understand the whole system and its annoying! Can I switch the immersion off and just use the back boiler for hot water during the summer??

Sounds like you have an immersion heater and it is switched on.
Put the switch that says "immersion heater off". Only use it when you need it. It is expensive to keep it on.
Get someone, - preferably a plumber, in to look over your plumbing and advise how it all works and perhaps you might also need work done, as the house is new to you and there could be unknown problems.

I should add its a rented property! And all the safety certificates have been issued. I'm just very confused as to how it all works. I've been watching the electric meter and were not using a lot at the minute. We have an electric shower too

Hi there Rosiecorbett,,, your immersion is an electrical element which works like a kettle , it heats the hot water electrically , but it's best and cheapest to heat your hot water with gas using your back boiler, this is controlled with your timeclock , the immersion you should switch off and only use it as a back up if the boiler breaks down,

Welcome to the forum,

Sorry ment to say the immersion is an electricity muncher so you will notice a difference once switched off,

the landlord/agent should demonstrate or leave clear instructions how everything works, stops you breaking things, if they dont show you, it would be resonable to get them to pay for a plumber to do so, do ask first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

That sounds like a good plan, I'll give that a...
Replies
Views
D
Have you checked your hot water schedule? It...
Replies
Views
peter challinor
P
In the back of the fireplace there will be a...
Replies
Views
PH is 7.5. Chloride is 194. The last water...
Replies
Views
B
No the installers need to come out
Replies
Views
Back