New Indirect Hot Water Cylinder Connection Leaking | Bathroom Advice | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss New Indirect Hot Water Cylinder Connection Leaking in the Bathroom Advice area at Plumbers Forums

Yesterday I had a very frustrating day installing a new indirect hot water cylinder which the customer had bought from Screwfix. There were six connections in total (cold feed, boiler flow & return, Surrey flange with feed to shower and DHW) and, as is the usually the case, every connection needed modifying.

However, I have been unable to get a leak free seal on the boiler primary flow connection to the cylinder which comprises of a 1" MI with 22mm compression to the cylinder 1" FI thread. I have used three different cylinder fittings (I know that shouldn't be necessary but I had to try something), thread sealant, PTFE and tightened as far as it will go but still the connection weeps slightly. The cylinder FI thread is tight and all three MI fittings I have used were tricky to get the thread started but it is definitely not cross threaded and the fitting loosens and tightens (with the aid of a wrench) without a problem.

I've never had this problem before and I am at a bit of a loss as to what to do next so any helpful advice would be much appreciated. Thank you

Thank you for the post clarky101. I had considered hemp but haven't used it before and so didn't have any in the van. Which part of the connection would you use it on, around the cylinder 1" MI or around the 1" copper cone that goes into the MI connection (or both) ? Thanks again.

Thank you for the post clarky101. I had considered hemp but haven't used it before and so didn't have any in the van. Which part of the connection would you use it on, around the cylinder 1" MI or around the 1" copper cone that goes into the MI connection (or both) ? Thanks again.

On the threaded stub and use paste on compression

Apply small amount of paste to thread, Tease the hemp out a bit and then wind it around the thread starting at a 45 degree angle ! That's a guess but is that correct ?

Not by my standards!!

Rough the thread up a bit, apply the hemp, then put paste on, rub paste in with thumb ( this also insures that hemp is grabbing on the roughed up thread ) sometimes we smear a little paste inside the female thread - depending on how dry the thread is, and then do the fitting up.

Never have applied paste to thread prior to putting hemp on - it make the hemp spin on the thread.

We use Loctite 55 and 577 and don't get leaks :)

Same procedure as for hemp from oz-plumber

Alternative you could have considered is a taper male iron here's a screwfix link for convenience Pegler Prestex PX42 Male Compression Taper 28mm x 1" | Compression Coupling | NoLinkingToThis

Put the correct amount of ptfe tape on and use a few extra wraps on the final threads towards the cylinder on female and towards the fitting body on male and you should never have problems. But do use paste as well as it both lubricates the joint therefore letting more tape into it and obviously it also fine seals the joint.
If the fitting doesn't start to feel tight to turn with a spanner when half way on, then remove it and redo the ptfe tape as there isn't enough.
Boss White is excellent paste for non potable joints.

If I've read it right, the cyl tapping is 1" female, if so don't use a tapered thread unless the manus state you can (most I've fitted state parralel only)
Use a flanged fitting and wind your hemp/ptfe as normal (with paste)then pile up the hemp/PTFE just in front of the shoulder/flange, this should tighten up against the female fitting and seal
Don't know if I've explained it very well, but always works for me
Fitting will be similar to this
download.jpeg

Forget what I said then, didn't think the fitting you linked to in your post was compatible with a standard MI, need to be what I always called a boiler union
I've usually used a FI to 22mm comp str with ptfe or boss white and hemp, failing that, use a shorter FI fitting and put a fibre washer in the fitting to tighten up to the MI thread on the cyl

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
take iso valves off and fit 1/2 inch x 22mm...
Replies
Views
  • Question
There's no leaks anywhere above it. The water...
Replies
Views
  • Question
To ensure a durable, leak-free connection for...
Replies
Views
E
  • Question
Hi, I've got an unvented hot water cylinder...
Replies
Views
Elliott
E
  • Question
You Can Use Boiler, Heat Pump.
Replies
Views
Back