New Member & Water Softener advise | Bathroom Advice | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss New Member & Water Softener advise in the Bathroom Advice area at Plumbers Forums

R

Rippers

Hi been a member a while, when I turned Jan 30 last year I decided I'd had enough of my office job and decided to career change to plumbing/heating, since then I've passed my NVQ2 in plumbing and more recently my CCN1 and I have my elements to do, (I've chosen Boilers, Gas Fires, Cookers and gas analysis would anyone advise differently, personally I've never seen a water heater in this area and meters is only really for gas transporters?) so although I have a bit of theory under my belt I'm lacking in the real world experience but hope to change this :)

Anyway been picking up a few more jobs recently and I wanted to run one by some of you experts as I don't fully understand, (its for family so no rush)

I want to fit this water softener:-

e552c64f.jpg

73671dc1.jpg

0731f780.jpg

5758d259.jpg

2e2f89a4.jpg

It was given to us brand new in the box, could be few years old thou!

The Manufacturers instructions aren't very clear so wondered if anyone had experience of this type of softener?.

The instructions mention an 'optional' bypass valve which didn't come in the box is there any reason I couldn't make one with three service valves?

What is the relevance of removing the red bar on the side?

I have a cartridge drinking water filter tap so I'll be leaving that connected to the mains, is it common practice not soften the cold on the kitchen sink and garden outside tap? (was thinking the softened water would be bad for the plants but then it might be good when washing the car thou!)

Also in regards to actually operating the softener I get the impression you set it up to regenerate every night at 2am.. can you use the water whilst this is happening? How do you work out how much salt to use or do you just top it up as you go along?

Sorry for the newbie questions, but like I say I've never fitted one before

Paul

I've been a happy user of a "Permutit" water softener since 1987, so happy to pass on the follwoing comments.

The instructions mention an 'optional' bypass valve which didn't come in the box is there any reason I couldn't make one with three service valves?

The bypass is useful if you ever have to disconnect the softener for decorating / servicing. No reason why you can't use service valves, but I'd go for good quality lever operated.

What is the relevance of removing the red bar on the side?

Sorry, don't know.

I have a cartridge drinking water filter tap so I'll be leaving that connected to the mains, is it common practice not soften the cold on the kitchen sink and garden outside tap? (was thinking the softened water would be bad for the plants but then it might be good when washing the car thou!)

Drinking water should come from an unsoftened supply, usually the kitchen tap. I use softened water for car washing and it leaves fewer water marks. Don't see why it should hurt the plants, at worst it will have infinitesimal traces of salt.

Also in regards to actually operating the softener I get the impression you set it up to regenerate every night at 2am.. can you use the water whilst this is happening? How do you work out how much salt to use or do you just top it up as you go along?

The one I have is 20+ years old. With just two of us left in the house it is set to regenerate every third night, about 2:00 am. When our two sons were around, it was set to regenerate about twice as frequently. You can use the water while it is regenerating, but this allows some unsoftened water into the tank (if you have a tank).

I top the salt up as needed, which is now about once a month, using one 25kg bag. Buying it by the 25Kg is significanly cheaper than the smaller bags. We get it delivered by Direct Salt Supplies but I'm sure there are others. Don't underestimate the space required to store 10 or more bags.

Paul[/QUOTE]

Don't see why it should hurt the plants, at worst it will have infinitesimal traces of salt.

Paul

If you use softened water for your plants then your plants could suffer with manganese deficiency and you will need to treat them for this,

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Noise seems to stop when softener is bypassed...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi Murdoch, Thanks for your recommendation...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Well it kept behaving the same until the...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi I have a very similar set up - if I...
Replies
Views
Chirag
C
  • Question
Thanks for the reply, Chuck. They have...
Replies
Views
Back