New PCB for a HE24? Or time for a new boiler? | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss New PCB for a HE24? Or time for a new boiler? in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

smroberts

Hiya. Just after a bit of casual advice please!

I think the PCB unit in my Ideal Isar HE24 has gone kaput. I've got no qualifications in this matter but Google tells me that a no display/no heating problem is symptomatic of a common fault - a broken PCB.
So I think I've got three options:

Get a refurbished PCB off ebay for £30/£40, and install it myself and 'maybe' it'll be problem solved.
Get an engineer to come out, more than likely diagnose a PCB fault, install a new one which is £200ish with the call-out fees on top.
Accept the Isars are crappy (though this is the first time its broken down in 4 years of home ownership) and invest in a new boiler. The Isar was installed in 2009 I think.

Any advice is much appreciated :)

Sion

I would say new boiler or Get an engineer out other option is illegal

Cheers Riley.

Excuse my ignorance but what's the issue with replacing the PCB myself? I'm not going anywhere near the sealed panel.

You said yourself you don't have any experience or qualifications so you have no means to test that the new PCB if that is the problem is set up correctly nor can you test if the boiler is subsequently working and burning safely. A Qualified engineer isnt just charging you for the sake of it you are paying for his experience and training in order to keep you and your family safe

Last edited:
I should also say that you will not receive anything in the way of DIY repair advice on this forum we all take gas safety very seriously as I'm sure you can appreciate

Thanks.
I totally agree with you re. gas safety - if I thought I'd be dealing with anything other than a straight swap of self contained electrical component I'd be calling up a GSR engineer without hesitation.

Well as I just said you are potentially affecting the boilers performance which you have no means of testing. This can be from a gas valve and/or the combustion performance. This is all controlled by the PCB

Simple answer is mate you can't do it legally and more importantly safely

Our stance on diy boiler repairs of any kind is made very clear on this forum. Good advice has been given.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Thanks. Yes, it doesn't seem a popular...
Replies
Views
Something as simple as turning the power off...
Replies
Views
N
Hi,did you fix intermitent L-F ? I have same...
Replies
Views
Mikesin
M
There's nothing wrong with external boilers...
Replies
Views
Gas Safe Registered? If so send your details...
Replies
Views
Back