New Pipework and Tightness Test | Gaining Plumbing Experience | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss New Pipework and Tightness Test in the Gaining Plumbing Experience area at Plumbers Forums

jaydebruyne

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
So I overheard a conversation today at a plumb centre and I wanted to know if it was true or not - it doesn't seem feasible to me but I'm new so what the hell do I know! Lol

So the guy was saying, when you TT after you've amended or extended any domestic gas pipework, if the pipework is still hot the reading on the gauge will fluctuate. So the reading may say there's a drop when in fact there isn't.

In my head it's an excuse cos he prob gets leaks and justifies it to himself.

So before I thank badly of him, I wanted to check out the facts.... Is this true?? Do you get readings that fluctuate if the pipework is still warm? I thought that's what the stabilisation minute was for?

Yes it will. Same effect as when the sun comes out and warms an external pipe, you can see the reading go up.

So say you're doing internal work, is it best to wait til the pipe has cooled before you test? As he was saying he got a 1mbar drop but put it down the the pipe cooling...

as above expansion of internal gas

Question on post #3?

to no 2 you were to fast :D

and just purge before you test wont rise as much as if it was full of air, but still except some movement

Last edited:

Similar plumbing topics

• Article
The UK Government has today been told to do...
Replies
Views
What valves did you isolate? Boiler valves or...
Replies
Views
JetBlue v2 for me
Replies
Views
  • Question
I've just done some investigation under the...
Replies
Views
A
Check out the lpg Lord Gill report, and user...
Replies
Views
Back