New thermostatic tap doesn't control water temperature | Bathroom Advice | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss New thermostatic tap doesn't control water temperature in the Bathroom Advice area at Plumbers Forums

T

Tom Bates

Hi all,

I've just installed a new tap / shower mixer. It the model is:

Aldo Thermostatic Deck Mounted Bath Show Mixer

Having fitted it successfully (seemingly!), it isn't working at all as expected. I should say that I'm a complete novice in these matters.

The basic problem is: the unit does not control the water temperature in a detectable way. The water is very hot even on the lowest temperature, and doesn't seem to change when cranked all the way up. It does reach a point however where something happens, and the temperature plummets to completely cold.

If you have 2 mins spare, I have a video explaining the issue better:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98pxZjeJRzA

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks for your time.

Tom

1. Where is your hot and cold water coming from ? Hot from tank / cold from mains ?
2. Have you removed the thermostat and tried adjusting the temp setting?
3. is this a cheep tap ? a good quality thermostatic bath shower mixer would be well over £200.

Thanks all for the replies and advice. Not sure if my messages are being moderated as I did try to write back...

Chalked: Hot is currently on the right (How I found it). Having been given this clue (by yourself snowhead and steveb ) I think this is most likely the cause! So to be clear: the correct format should be left=hot, right=cold?

jtsplumbing:

1. Combi boiler, no tank
2. Not yet, I'll try the above first!
3. Unfortunately yes, a cheap tap. Reviews were ok, but there's probably a lesson there as well...

Thanks again.

For the purposes of testing, you could just turn the mixer section upside down, so the shower hose points up.
This effectively swops the hot and cold into the valve.

If it works O.K you need to swop the pipes under the bath, and put the mixer the right way up!.

For the purposes of testing, you could just turn the mixer section upside down, so the shower hose points up.
This effectively swops the hot and cold into the valve.

If it works O.K you need to swop the pipes under the bath, and put the mixer the right way up!.

thems be some quality lateral thinkings you gots going on there sonny.

If your hot water is on the right it is the wrong way round so when the taps is trying to let cold water in to cool it down it's actually pulling more hot in then it is getting to the point it just wants hot so it is then letting cold water in. Swap the pipes around and all should be fine.

Hi all,

So, that did the trick! Swapping around the hot / cold feed was a good few hours fiddly work but it's working like a charm now, and no strange noises coming from it either.

Thanks once again for everybody's patience and advice - it's been very useful and really appreciated.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Many thanks Ben-Gee - thats a good idea! But...
Replies
Views
  • Question
This question, word for word, has already been...
Replies
Views
That is true - however with Vaillant...
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Back