Newbie - looking to gain experience with plumbing professional, Reading or SE London | Gaining Plumbing Experience | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Newbie - looking to gain experience with plumbing professional, Reading or SE London in the Gaining Plumbing Experience area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

drew_biggles

Hi,

Name's Dave, 27 year old, retraining and studying through distance learning NVQ level 2 in plumbing.

Currently on module 5 - Cold water systems

Covered so far;
1. Introduction to Plumbing
2. Health and Safety
3. Common Plumbing Processes
4. Common Plumbing Practices

Move between Reading and South East London (near Lewisham) am willing to travel anywhere near those points.
Looking to gain experience working alongside someone that can show me the ropes and give me some practical experience.

If you can help or know anyone that requires help at this busy time of year, I'm reliable, outgoing, pro active and very willing to learn. Able to start immediately, own transport to and from jobs if needed.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Newbie - looking to gain experience with plumbing professional, Reading or SE Lon

Hi and welcome to the forums

Good luck to you

Re: Newbie - looking to gain experience with plumbing professional, Reading or SE Lon

Welcome along Dave. :)

Good luck with the training and search for experience.

Cheers, from reading through numerous posts, I think I'm going to need it!

:welcome2: to the forum Dave :) Good luck on your quest :)

PMA welcome to the house of fun

hi dave welcome along

welcome

Dave: i'm a bit slow with this but how do you distance learn plumbing? A bit like sitting in the van having a *** waiting on the tradesman doing the job then asking him what he did? Neither will get you or keep you in a job.

Btw welcome along. There is lots of good stuff here to add to your distance learning experience. Probably many times more than your expensive course so soak it up and feel free to ask sensible questions or requests.
You have broken the ice so jump in :smile:

Hi Tamz,

Thankyou for your warm welcome;

Well, I'm not just some typical lazy teenager, and I don't smoke.... maybe I'd eat a battered mars bar?

Being in my late 20's there aren't any apprenticeships for me so 'distance learning' is the only real option, plus the fact I have bills to pay.
I wanted to say I'm using 'Train for trade skills' without saying it, as from some posts and other articles it seems some tradesmen see it as a dirty word, however, for some of us, going to college just isn't an option.

I'm giving up a well paid career to finally jump in with both feet and embrace this profession, I possibly should have followed at 18, rather than the University route I was more encouraged to take.

Yes it is a shame i've left it far too late but c'est la vie.
For me sitting in a van twiddling my thumbs is definitely not an option, I am bringing with me a hard work ethic and attitude that has seen me well so far. However, I cant last on that alone, which is why I need the practical experience and work my way up to becoming an experienced and responsible plumber.

I do look forward to taking as much as possible from the forum, and taking much heed of the wisdom I'm sure yourself and others can share, as we all know I'm sure I won't be able to gain much real world plumbing experience from the books and CD's and virtual reality suites T4TS provide, so the more that pro's (your recent post about pipe sizes certainly springs to mind) like you can teach me the better :)

If i were you i wouldn't cut my ties with the existing well paid career just yet. At least keep a toe hold.
You may have perceptions of how the trade is and there are some good advantages as there is with any other manual work but be aware this game can be overworked, oversressed, underpaid and undervalued the same as any other with the added bonus of a worn out body coming a lot quicker than you ever expected.

I have no opinion on train for trades or any other private training company other than they do have a lot of unhappy customers who were taken in by the sales speel. Many of these people may have brought it upon themselves with their blinkered view and gullibility but that is what the sellers of dreams play on.
The reality is retainers are bottom of the pile for most job opportunities. They have less experience than a 1st year apprentice and expect more wages as they have other commitments. I have no doubt that many come through it and make a living but many more fail and move on. Most small companies and tradesmen are inundated with requests for work experience but most have wised up to that one and the consequences it has had on the trade.

Just keep your eyes open and be realistic.
Good luck in your efforts. It certainly won't be easy.

Check out some of Secret Squirrels posts. He is one who made it and has posted some of the realities you may encounter.

Last edited by a moderator:

Many thanks for your advice, it is well received and much appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Hi guys I’m hoping I find some luck here, I...
Replies
Views
Thanks very much Sav - I've just sent you a pm...
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
S
Re: Service leaver looking to gain plumbing...
Replies
Views
johno_uk
J
Back