Newbie with a few questions... | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Newbie with a few questions... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

SHall

Hi Guys, My name's Steve and I'm just a few weeks away from starting training as a Plumber, NVQ Diploma in Plumbing & Heating 6189.
I'm planning to use a company called NCS - New Career Skills. Has anyone used them before?
I'm 21 and working full time in sales so I want to be able to study in my own time etc and I've had a consultation with one of their advisors and been offered a place.
The finance is interest free with a £1000 deposit and a further 18 months at £293 so a total of £6274.

Just looking for some advice really and to hear about peoples experiences with NCS

Thanks in advance :)
Steve

Don't pay 7k. You can do it alot cheaper

where are you shall , welcome to the forums too. 7k seems a lot to me

I live in Poole and work in Bournemouth. NCS have an assessment centre in Southampton.
I've heard it can be done for about £4.5k-£5.5k but they seem to be intensive courses which I don't want to do.

Are there popular alternatives?

Hello SHall, that is a big bill, have you tried your local college?
usually courses will be 1 day a week for 2 years or 2 days for 1 year
or night classes are probably available. the saving about £5-6K

Have you approached a local college that does a course of 2 evenings a week?

My Girlfriend's Mum is a Lecturer at the local College so I did look into that route. But there wasn't anything that allowed me to study in the evenings.
It isn't an option for me to take a day off each week in my current job so it needs to be evenings/weekends.
Plus I like the way the course offers the 5 day practical sessions after each module.

If £7k is considered a lot, how much should I expect to pay?

I did 2 nights a week for 2 years, cost me less than £2k, surely there are other colleges?
You'll need the other £5k change to advertise and set up unless you're happy to get 1 decent job a fortnight for the first year...

I did 2 nights a week for 2 years, cost me less than £2k, surely there are other colleges?
You'll need the other £5k change to advertise and set up unless you're happy to get 1 decent job a fortnight for the first year...

I don't want it to take 2 years firstly and secondly I don't only have a £7k pot to become a plumber...
I can comfortably pay the £293 a month to learn while saving aside for start up costs, a van, tools, advertising etc.

I want to be able to learn at my own pace, I am a fast learner and very driven, if I want to study 3 hours a night I want to be able to, I don't want a rigid 2 night a week for 2 year plan.

But thank you for your comment.

Has anyone else done used NCS in the past? Any success or regret stories out there?

Last edited by a moderator:
If you search the forum for many other fast track and similar courses. They all to me seem to be bad news.

I can't comment from a personal view as I done one day a week for 3 years. And a full appretiship. But I can say that alot of people I know that have done a course of this type. Are still in the job they were in

If you search the forum for many other fast track and similar courses. They all to me seem to be bad news.

I can't comment from a personal view as I done one day a week for 3 years. And a full appretiship. But I can say that alot of people I know that have done a course of this type. Are still in the job they were in

I was with a group of 8 and as far as I'm aware, I'm the only one still going. Most (all?) of the others returned to their previous or similar jobs.

There are a few on this forum who've completed a fast track course and who've made a success of plumbing, but these are easily outnumbered by those who have expressed great eagerness to join the plumbing world. They stick around for a few weeks then we never hear from them again.

It's a tough world out there (although the last couple of months have shown promise). Last summer was diabolical for the building industry but the previous winter was a good one for plumbers.

Best of luck with whatever you decide.

I dont know what these night courses are like as I did an apprenticeship 4 years on terrible wages but I know people who have done intensive courses and night courses I also have a brother doing night courses but in electrics.

What I do know is that the intensive courses produce people who can do the basics but quite often lack in experiance so do have problems with existing systems but can install from new and might not do the job to the standard the customer wants. It is the same with night courses over a longer but I do find that because they spend a longer time learning it they tend to be better. I dont wish to offend anybody but this is just my opinion I do know people who have become very good and are doing well for themselves.

There is alot to learn in this game I have been in plumbing and heating for 13 years and still come across things that I have never seen or that stumps me.

My advice would be to do a longer course and really go into the details of things and not just how to install from new try and get involved with local plumbers on weekends to gain some experiance then you would stand a better chance of making a really good go of it when you do qualify

Cheers for all the comments. I agree with a lot of the opinions, I wanted to do an apprenticeship at 16 but my teachers talked me into doing A levels. Now at 21 I want to get into the trade but I have other commitments now so I can't afford to go on an apprentice wage, although this was my initial plan.
That said I've signed up with NCS and just completed my first module today, I've got my first weeks practical booked for the 11th of June.
I know on completion I'm not going to be as 'experienced' as those who've been at it for 4 years but I will have the understanding and competancy to go out on my own and make it work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Hi PythonCrazy, I'm interested to know if you...
Replies
Views
Hey everyone, my name's Loren, I'm 31 and I...
Replies
Views
If you are looking to be the WBR (Work Based...
Replies
Views
If your doing a lot of commercial new build I...
Replies
Views
Hi martink, Did you finally joined any of the...
Replies
Views
Back