No Heating Downstairs ! | Air Sourced Heat Pumps | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss No Heating Downstairs ! in the Air Sourced Heat Pumps area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a follow on from a previous "No Hot Water" thread I posted here

http://www.ukplumbersforums.co.uk/p...ot-water-gravity-fed-system-3.html#post807019

Now the nights are getting cooler the same customer I had the "No Hot Water" problem contacted me earlier this week to advise that they had no heating downstairs. I therefore visited them Monday evening, turned all the upstairs radiator off and within a few minutes the downstairs were starting getting warm and were all at a good temperature within 15-20 minutes. I therefore turned the upstairs radiators back on and left. I therefore went back yesterday evening, once again turned the upstairs radiators off, turned the heating on and waited for the downstairs rads to get warm. I then went upstairs and opened the lockshield on each rad a turn at a time until the flow pipe started to get warm and then left them at that.

However, this morning I have once again received a text advising that the downstairs raditors are cold and not heating up. I've told the customer it must be the pump and have agreed to replace it as I can't think of anything else it could be. Have I missed something ?

Thanks in advance for any helpful advice.

Pump would be a good place to start, just because it makes a noise doesn't mean its working as it should, how old is pump ? or system may need cleaning.

Thank you for the response jtsplumbing.

Considering it took more than two weeks for the hot water air lock to shift (see my previous thread - http://www.ukplumbersforums.co.uk/p...ot-water-gravity-fed-system-3.html#post807019) I'm even more convinced it's the pump and I hope for the cusomers sake that it is :-/

get a bad screwdriver take the center (plug) air bleed plug out and push your old screwdriver in if you can stop the pump impeller its gone if you cant it fine

get a bad screwdriver take the center (plug) air bleed plug out and push your old screwdriver in if you can stop the pump impeller its gone if you cant it fine

Glad your using the highly technical method of testing pumps, have you got a very expensive tool for doing it ???

Glad your using the highly technical method of testing pumps, have you got a very expensive tool for doing it ???

yea its call a spherical podger :D

If you jam your screwdriver in and try to stop the impeller then you may cause damage . Simply just touch gently to see if it's spinning or not and if it isn't then you need to check that there is 240v at the pump before your 100% sure that's your problem.

If you jam your screwdriver in and try to stop the impeller then you may cause damage . Simply just touch gently to see if it's spinning or not and if it isn't then you need to check that there is 240v at the pump before your 100% sure that's your problem.

that was from grunfoss themselves, there testing procedure

Got told the same , how technical is that, poke something in if it stops replace it, what a selling gimmick

it is as it tests the stator and rotor and how much tq there putting out

Thanks.
So by stopping the impeller on an older pump with an object such as a screwdriver you could easily blow a capacitor or overload the pcb ?

no as its the same as a stuck impeller on the pump, does nothing but stop the impeller from turning just disrupter's the magnetic filed

Real shame you guys can`t fit a pressure gauge and a iso valve in line, if you knew the discharge psi from new that and an ohms test would tell you a lot.

Of no use to you I know but just saying if.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

D
  • Question
You should have not touched the lockshields...
Replies
Views
  • Question
You’re a genius, thank you! Held my thumb over...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi Ben-gee. East Devon. Thanks.
Replies
Views
  • Question
I can't afford it at the moment, but I had one...
Replies
Views
  • Question
we have 2 separate valves and they both open...
Replies
Views
Back