No hot water from bath taps in new build | Bathroom Advice | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss No hot water from bath taps in new build in the Bathroom Advice area at Plumbers Forums

M

mattc83

Hi all, looking for some advice and opinions on our situation, we moved into a new build last June and due to en suite bathrooms with showers we've never felt the need to use the bath. We've just last week tried to run a bath and found that there's no hot water from either the hot tap or cold tap, thought at first that maybe the hot and cold were piped up incorrectly but no.

I've had a look at some other posts where people have suggested there may be an adjustable TMV under the bath, I've had a look under the bath today and there is as expected a TMV, but there's no way that I can see to adjust it. The plastic valve cap identifies it a 'Bossmax' and popping this off shows a hex head screw, I'm not familiar with these valves so unsure if this is how you adjust the valve? Assume that unscrewing this will result in water spraying out but anyway it's stuck tight, I put a fair bit of force into it with a wrench and it wouldn't move, would this be the problem with no hot water?

Another thing I'm not sure about is that this valve mixes the incoming hot and cold and has one outlet, all three valve connection pipes go under the floor board, and 2 foot away 2 pipes come up out of the floor and go to the bath taps, the bath tap is the standard cheapo mixer tap with separate hot and cold water supplies, so I would assume there's a 'Y' piece under the floor that splits this single valve outlet into the two tap pipes, this doesn't seem right to me? Is this just a cheap and nasty way of sticking this in? I would have thought with a hot and cold supply so close to the taps it would be easier to just pipe them straight up to the taps.

We have another year of warranty with the builder who I think will be doing a 12 month snagging soon anyway, but obviously we're going to call them out about this on Monday, can anyone advise on whether what they've done is right? And is there nothing I can do to get this valve working?

Thanks

There should be a separate supply to both hot and cold taps. The cold will go directly to the cold tap.

The hot water distribution pipe will usually come up under the bath somewhere and go into the blend valve. The cold feed would normally be teed into and plumbed into the blend valve also. The blended water will then be taken from the blend valve and into the hot tap to provide water at a safe temperature.

as above and normally they are pre set to warm ish water so if yours is cold there a problem but if its under warranty do not touch it

(prob check valve stuck)

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
take iso valves off and fit 1/2 inch x 22mm...
Replies
Views
  • Question
You Can Use Boiler, Heat Pump.
Replies
Views
C
  • Question
Is there a ball valve on the flexihoses? Might...
Replies
Views
  • Question
which must be protected by a RCD new circuit...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi, I have a few issues with my bath drainage...
Replies
Views
Back