No hot water from hwsc | Bathroom Advice | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss No hot water from hwsc in the Bathroom Advice area at Plumbers Forums

rocketmanbkk

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Chaps

a woman called me and has no hot water. Shes a lovely lady and I replaced her electric shower, toilet inlet, toilet siphon etc. so a good customer.

She is in a flat, all electric.

The airing cupboard has the tank but i've never changed or diagnosed anything to do with immersions etc.

So, my question is, if the tank has one immersion at the top, should I just try to change the thermostat rather than the whole unit?

If it's got 2 immersions, how do you know which ones broken?

Also, if its just a top one, i take it that if i do need to change the whole lot I dont need to drain the whole tank?

Talking of draining, its a 2md fllor flat so is it better to isolate water and turn hot taps on and have a cuppa?

Cheers all

Rocket

btw, another successful siphon change today!

You can check the switch live on the stat to see if its switching or you can test the immersion itself, you should be getting around 20ohms if its good.

If you try to drain a direct hot water cylinder in a flat then you wont do it by opening the hot tap. DHW Cylinders fill from the bottom and feed from the top so you physically cannot drain without a hose on the drain cock to a low point eg.shower tray.

Using a multimeter, check continuety through the stats( power off obviously) which will tell you if and which stat has failed and dont forget to check the obvious like MCB breaker is hasnt tripped and if it has power to it when switched.

If you need help PM me your mobile no and ill sort something out.

Done quite a few of these and the drain cocks hardly ever work. I ended up isolating cold feed, opening all hot taps and when the water stops flowing from the taps, disconnecting the hot water outlet, shoving a hose to the bottom of the cylinder and syphoning the water into the bath or out the window. Oh, and I can guarantee you that the tool that put the immersions in slarted boss white all down the threads!

A simple voltage tester can ascertain whether the stat or the element has failed.
No great electrical knowhow required.
Simply touch one point to earth connection and one to the live at one side of the stat with demand on and then keeping the connection with earth touch the other side of the stat which is also live. If the tester lights up both times then the element is gone. If the tester lights up only on one then its the stat

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Yours is an old fotic cylinder, Thermal store...
Replies
Views
  • Question
https://myenergi.info/viewtopic.php?p=87432#p87432
Replies
Views
  • Question
That's not what I meant. Are the hot and cold...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Many thanks for your advice I will get up into...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Yes that would work in my opinion not a expert...
Replies
Views
Back