No hot water on gravity system? | Bathroom Advice | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss No hot water on gravity system? in the Bathroom Advice area at Plumbers Forums

macka09

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Hi all. Any suggestion on possible causes?
Trapped air? Gate valve stuck?

Get a bit of hose pipe go up in your loft and go to the bigest header tank and the pipe that bends over it put the hose pipe in it and suck till you get water out this should clear the airlock. How old is the boiler?

If it's a gravity system it will only be so air lock if it's been drained recently. Most likely cause is a seized ball valve in the f @ e tank. The water is lost through heat evaporation.

Sorry folks. This isn't a job I've been to as yet. I'm going to look tomorrow. I am in the trade but still very new to it. As I haven't been to the job I assumed an air lock or the gate valve on the cold feed to the tank is stuck shut.
Someone has changed the ladies cold feed tank which apparently just serves a hot water cylinder I haven't been told anything else.
That's why I thought about getting a little heads up.

Ok. I know it's definitely something with the recent work. The vague info I've been given leads me to think a gate valve has failed. I'm sure the chap said he's turned the immersion off.

Get a bit of hose pipe go up in your loft and go to the bigest header tank and the pipe that bends over it put the hose pipe in it and suck till you get water out this should clear the airlock. How old is the boiler?

good call but it may be a tad easier to cross kitchen taps and blow back mains into hw tap back into tank..brum

If it is just a simple air lock in the hot pipework (probably cold feed to hot cylinder) then just put the cold through the hot. I do it on the bath mixers where the cold & hot are both from gravity (cwt) supply. Even though they are basically the same pressure, if you open the hot tap on a bath mixer & holding your hand over the outlet, just turn cold full on & hold for about 10 seconds at least & air is blasted up the cylinder feed.
Other sure way is to join hot washing machine valve to the mains cold w.m. valve using a w.m. hose.
Or remove the neck from kitchen sink mixer & hold your hand over the hole while turning hot & then mains on. You normally cant keep the neck in as the neck divides the supplies on modern mixers.

Easy fix if there's a mixer tap with no check valves below , all youl need is maybe a towel to wipe your face dry lol

Put your hand over the spout of the mixer tap and open the hot first , then open the cold , because your hands over the spout it forces the cold up the hot side in turn moving any air , if that's the problem this should help mate, you might get bit spray on your face but it works lol

Similar plumbing topics

At the moment when you move the hot water...
Replies
Views
N
  • Question
I believe most kitchens come with a clause...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Sorry for the delay in replying, I had an...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Yeah will deffo try I’ve got a strong magnet...
Replies
Views
C
  • Question
Is there a ball valve on the flexihoses? Might...
Replies
Views
Back