No hot water on gravity system | Bathroom Advice | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss No hot water on gravity system in the Bathroom Advice area at Plumbers Forums

B

bella100

Hi all been at an ongoing job standard gravity system heating is fine cylinder flow piping hot cylinder return no to little heat tried venting and it works after a hassle of cracking nuts and vents then after about 3 days it blocks again how often do the coils become sludged up is it quite common also could the pump be pulling in through the vent ? Cheers guys and girls

On just gravity they can be temperamental with starting just hot water ,
(esp if set high and start to kettle )
In cold weather ch load is robbing tank of any extra !
I remember listening for creaking of pipes up to cylinder ,was a clue it was flowing on just HW . ( a quick flick to Ch pump and back again if it failed ) ... Antiques require patience .

Hi all been at an ongoing job standard gravity system heating is fine cylinder flow piping hot cylinder return no to little heat tried venting and it works after a hassle of cracking nuts and vents then after about 3 days it blocks again how often do the coils become sludged up is it quite common also could the pump be pulling in through the vent ? Cheers guys and girls

Sorry, I have just re read your post. You are a plumber are you ?

Thanks for your help buddy, was going to try and investigate the coil in the morning they did say that the overflow would occasionally run but it's never done it while I've been there if it is going up the vent could you cap off the vent to force it round only temporarily of course until it clears

You need to look at the things I mentioned plus check if air being sucked into vent.
Colour of water should give a clue, If its rust coloured your getting air introduced regularly ( normally)

Have a look at the tanks in loft and vent first.

You need to look at the things I mentioned plus check if air being sucked into vent.
Colour of water should give a clue, If its rust coloured your getting air introduced regularly ( normally)

Have a look at the tanks in loft and vent first.

If it is drawing air through the vent how can that be stopped would slowing the pump help?

If it is and the problem hasn't always been there then it could be a partial blockage I suppose. It's difficult to say. You can only use a process of elimination. Look at the obvious first. The pump shouldn't really effect the DHW if it's a gravity system so if it is it needs Sorting.

Once you've been back, if you're still stuck, Post us some pics ?

Pipe layout around cylinder, boiler, tanks etc.

Try and weigh up where cold feed from tank goes in if it's indirect. It could be primatic.

Have you checked which system it is ?

If it is drawing air through the vent how can that be stopped would slowing the pump help?

If it is and the problem hasn't always been there then it could be a partial blockage I suppose. It's difficult to say. You can only use a process of elimination. Look at the obvious first. The pump shouldn't really effect the DHW if it's a gravity system so if it is it needs Sorting.

Once you've been back, if you're still stuck, Post us some pics ?

Pipe layout around cylinder, boiler, tanks etc.

Try and weigh up where cold feed from tank goes in if it's indirect. It could be primatic.

Have you checked which system it is ?

If it has a vent off the coil it will be indirect so if you've seen one there don't worry about it.

FYI It's a single fed cylinder ( heating filled via annular inside ). Normally one tank in loft ( no small 10 gal FE tank present )

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Yeah will deffo try I’ve got a strong magnet...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Many thanks John I had already bought two...
Replies
Views
No need to move the vent only option if he...
Replies
Views
N
  • Question
I believe most kitchens come with a clause...
Replies
Views
200% won’t be the reason the cylinder isn’t...
Replies
Views
Back