No Overflow Pipe? | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss No Overflow Pipe? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

hammergl

Hi

I am replacing my Torbeck float valve with a Fluidmaster. I have never done this before and I am concerned because there is no overflow pipe in my cistern. I realise it isn't built into the Fluidmaster so my question is whether it is built into the syphon or was it built into the old Torbeck?? I have attached a picture.

Very grateful for any advice before I flood may bathroom...

IMG_1400.jpg

If you've got an internal overflow at all it will be built into the syphon, not the float operated valve.

If you've got a fast, guaranteed, way of stopping the water going into the cistern, hold the float valve down. If the water reaches the top of the syphon and continues to climb than you haven't got an internal overflow. If it reaches the top of the syphon then flows into the pan you have got an internal overflow.

If you haven't got an internal overflow and, as you say, have no external overflow, also change the syphon for one with an internal overflow.

Ensure there are no holes in cistern (for screws, flush handle etc) that are lower than the top of the syphon.

If holes are lower/level with syphon then water will pass through them as well.

Thought all syphons would act as internal overflow.

Seen this before, no overflow, change the syphon for a fluidmaster flapper and it will have an overflow.

If the syphon is lower than the lowest hole in the cistern it is fine. You can still buy 8" std type syphons (used to be called country pattern) which were actually illegal to install at one time (water regs due to waste of water because no one would bother fixing it when it overflowed down the pan)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

No problem with the 900mm from openings as it...
Replies
Views
I know this was a while ago but my comments...
Replies
Views
BrianLockyear
B
  • Question
Okay, so this shower is a potential route for...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Difficult to tell from the photo, but might...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
  • Solved
Thanks for the comments fowlerboi. Like you I...
Replies
Views
Back