Noise coming from Combi Boiler | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Noise coming from Combi Boiler in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mzuk04

Evening all.

I have a Worcester Bosch Combi Boiler 28i RSF, it was installed Nov 02 accordingly to the service booklet.

I have been in the house for 3yrs and decided I would get it serviced, so following the service several months ago the timer switch pin 'broke' and although would still work for often fall off.

I sourced a replacement timer myself and fitted it without too much hassel about a month ago (casing slid off, 2 screws to allow the main console panel to rotate down exposing the back, and then four screws holding the back panel on). However I struggled to get the 4th screw out so just about managed to remove the old timer and sneak in the new one, however at this point the plastic bit broke off that keeps the screw in place (left rear screw) however the backing panel was still tight.

Coincidental, after this, 50% of the time when I would use a hot tap and then finish using it, you could hear a fairly big noise from the boiler. But general running of the boiler for heating made no untoward noises.

Until last night when the boiler was buzzing constantly with the C/Heating, I could even hear it making the whining noise when I got home from the pub last night, outside, via the flu outlet. When the boiler is not being used there are no noises, when I only use hot water, something switches on and at this point is makes a 'buzzing, whining noise constantly' until I switch the water off, likewise with the heating, however if I have the heating on and then switch on a tap, theres a brief moment when 'it' makes a slightly different noise and then goes back to the original noise.

The noise seems to be coming from the Pump (it says Bosch on it) but obviously I cant be sure having no experience with boilers, any ideas?

Regards
Chris

if you can hear it trough the flue more than likely the fan

Is there anyway I can maybe diagnose this myself, bearing in mind I dont know what does what etc etc.

I can even hear it faintly from the living room.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there anyway I can maybe diagnose this myself, bearing in mind I dont know what does what etc etc.

I can even hear it faintly from the living room.

Do the right thing my friend and get a professional opinion!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's fair enough, I'm always up for learning but obviously the gas is the worry. Got someone coming Tuesday evening to have a quick look for me.

technically, removing the outer cover is breaking the law being its part of the sealed system for the balanced flue, and I note your diy seems to have caused you more problems than you originally started with. I love people like you, it keepsme busy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I dont mind having to pay a little more for mistakes, its the only way you learn I suppose.

I dont mind having to pay a little more for mistakes, its the only way you learn I suppose.

You could pay the ultimate price though my friend!!! DEATH! Be careful it is not a diy game mate! if ya dont kill ya self you could quite easily kill somebody else!

What a great lesson that would be! NOT

No, I understand what people are saying, I replaced a timer switch as it was only a couple of clips and a couple of wires so was able to do it because it didnt involve anything dodgy or to complicated :), I am fairly sensible.

Gasman - It was indeed the fan that was knackered, there was still power going to it but it just failed to spin.

Bought a replacement today for £78 and had it fitted, it was quite badly rusted at the back and the backing plate was completely detached for the fan.

Looks like the knocking noise everytime a tap was turned off may have been down to the fan knocking against the loose plate.

All sorted now, thanks very much for your help.

Regards
Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Or elec bills as it would be running...
Replies
Views
Sounds like it could be the stepper motor for...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
Ok, thanks will let here leave it is
Replies
Views
I understand, thanks for letting me know.
Replies
Views
Np Simon. Hoping to get the boiler engineer...
Replies
Views
Back