Noisy basin mixer tap | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Noisy basin mixer tap in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dave0102

Hi guys,

I'm new here, and I hope someone can help as this is driving me insane:annoyed:

We've recently had a new bathroom suite fitted. As part of the new suite we've got a new basin that has a mixer tap. The mixer tap is extremely noisy when the tap is fully opened and even louder when half opened, for both hot and cold. I've been looking around and this seems to be quite a common problem with cheap taps. We have isolator valves on each input pipe, and I have tried adjusting the valve to lower the flow but the tap is still extremely noisy.

Would someone be able to recommend a decent replacement quiet mixer tap? Or any other tips on how to reduce the noise, I've looked at Pressure Reducing Valves but I'm not sure if this is the right way to go.

We have a mains fed combi boiler, and the pressure shows as 1.5. The tap is fed from two plastic pipes that connect to copper isolator valves and the connect to the tap.

Thanks,
Dave

Bristan make good quality taps at reasonable prices.

The pressure gauge on your combi reads the heating system pressure, not the water pressure for the taps which could be much higher.

If your mains pressure is high then it maybe best to fit a pressure reducing valve on the incoming main after the stopcock. The noise you are hearing could be the velocity rushing through the ballofix valves to the tap. Alternatively you may be able to fit flow restrictors in line.

Bristan make good quality taps at reasonable prices.

The pressure gauge on your combi reads the heating system pressure, not the water pressure for the taps which could be much higher.

Thanks for the reply, I will have a look at their stock. I wasn't sure about the boiler pressure, but that now makes sense.

If your mains pressure is high then it maybe best to fit a pressure reducing valve on the incoming main after the stopcock. The noise you are hearing could be the velocity rushing through the ballofix valves to the tap. Alternatively you may be able to fit flow restrictors in line.

Thanks. One thing I'm not sure of is if we do have high mains pressure. Basically the noise only started since we had the new tap fitted, previously it was fine. Also the bath and Kitchen taps seem to be ok.

Is there any logic to fitting PRV's to each pipe that feeds the tap? I don't know anything about flow restrictors, would you fit these before the isolation valve on each pipe that feeds the tap?

Please, forgive me for the stupid questions:cool3:

do as kozack says and put one prv on the incoming main, that will reduce both the hot and cold pressure.

They do ballofix valves with flow restrictors in, you can change the discs ( different colours for different flow rates ). I think 6.5 LMP is about the norm but i am sure someone will correct me. You usually find the noise increases when a ballofix is closed down. You will probably find the kitchen and bath have the isolation valves fully open. You could always buy a tap that has restrictors fitted if you dont want the hassle of fitting them.

if you do have a prv fitted please don't forget the expansion vessel. prv's reduce pressure,flow restrictors reduce flow :)

Hi Dave0102,
We have the same problem, very noisy hot and cold only on the new mixer. More noisy half open than full or very little. We have another 18 year old mixer tap in another bathroom sink, no problems. The installers say it is normal. How can it be 2 identical set ups, bar the tap. I am happy to buy a tap and pay for it to be installed. Any joy on a quiet tap.
Cheers, B

Have a look at the size of the pipes connected to the taps, all the old taps 1/2" most of new taps 8/10mm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Have you got a photo of the sink at the...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Thankyou, I have already installed a hot and...
Replies
Views
  • Question
You on a combi, unvented cylinder or gravity...
Replies
Views
  • Question
I’ve got exactly same problem. I have to put...
Replies
Views
A
  • Question
Thanks to you all for your thoughts, much...
Replies
Views
Back