Noisy element in boiler! | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Noisy element in boiler! in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,

New to the forum and hoping someone can help me.

I live in a rented flat that is all electric economy 7 and we have a Gledhill Pulsacoil III Boiler.

About a year into us living here and after me learning about this boiler I realised we had a leaking element pocket. This small leak eventually blew the rod stat. After this happened we/landlord finally had a plumber come over and he has replaced the entire element.

The original element was the original Gledhill XB482 Element which was I believe 14inch with an 11inch Rod stat.

The new element he has put in is a Backer Type 311 which is a 11inch element with a 7inch Backer 'BT7' Rod stat.

So heres the thing, it seems to be working fine, the water is heating up through the night to the right temp.

BUT

The new one is SO noisy. It is basically kettling really loudly. The last element I couldn't hear a thing. Also when I wake up in the night I can hear it flicking on every 10-15 minutes to get the water back up the temp, is this normal? I can hear it heating up for about 30 seconds then off again. This wouldn't be an issue if it wasn't so loud.

I guess my questions are, why is this new one making such a loud boiling sound compared? Is it normal for the element to keep flicking on to heat the water throughout the off peak period at night, and what solutions there may be to help the noise, if any.

Thank you!

Yes you are right they can be very noisy , in my experience the cheaper the element the noisier they are , depending on your landlord would depend on if he would put a genuine manufacturers element in . Send him / her a noisy vid lol

Yeah unfortunately our landlord is really nice has no clue about boilers etc, the new element installed is much cheaper on websites than the original Gledhill one. Maybe I'll just have to live with the noise because I can't seem my landlord forking out the money again to get him to come over and put in a better element. Really frustrating.

Im assuming the off peak is meant to go off and on a lot to keep the temp correct until the off peak ends yes?

No the off peak power is constant , its the thermostat that is the switch between the programer and the element that is causing the on /off , but its working exactly like it should

No the off peak power is constant , its the thermostat that is the switch between the programer and the element that is causing the on /off , but its working exactly like it should

Yeah sorry that's what I meant, bad explanation haha. The power is remaining on but the stat is switching it on and off to keep the temp up. Glad that is normal, I thought it was but I guess this is the first time I've actually heard it working since it's so loud.

I read somewhere you can get boiler silencer, is this something that can be applied to this type of boiler?

Nah , new immersion heater needed , its probably going to "go" soon anyway.

Oh sorry only 4 days !!! It depends how cheap it was but hopefully for your sake it goes lol

Oh sorry only 4 days !!! It depends how cheap it was but hopefully for your sake it goes lol

haha yeah. I have found the exact one he used and it is on the cheap side. certainly cheaper than the original Gledhill one. I guess I'm going to have to live with it until it packs up, which could be a while? I've read that because its so new and shiny it could be loads of surface boiling on the element making the noise. Who knows.

You could offer to go half for a genuine one. I would as I hate that sort of noise. Grrrrrrr

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Except your response got me thinking. Going...
Replies
Views
Its easy to check for a leak, just tie up the...
Replies
Views
It seems to be a case of having to watch and...
Replies
Views
It could be numerous things, including a flow...
Replies
Views
    • Love
@Ric2013 your comments about PP and CP are...
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Replies
Views
Back