Noisy hot water pump and low hot water pressure | UK Plumbers Forums | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Noisy hot water pump and low hot water pressure in the UK Plumbers Forums area at Plumbers Forums

Hi all,

I'm hoping you can help me with a couple of questions I have for my inlaws.

There house is 30 odd years old and the hot water pump is quite noisy go say the least. It appears easy enough to replace as isolation valves at top and bottom and two nuts to release the pump. My question is, what would be a suitable new pump to replace it with. The current pump is a grundfos UPS 18-60. Photo attached.

The second question, is about the hot water pressure. In short it's really low and having a shower here is painfully slow experience. Weve moved in for 3 months as moving home and our new one isn't ready so hence I'm trying to now sort all these things for them. Would the new pump sort this? Is it something else that can be easily diagnosed and remedied?

Thanks in advance everyone.

Pete

Attachments

• 16108730568492312605115388459975.jpg
    16108730568492312605115388459975.jpg
    246.3 KB · Views: 23
That is your central heating pump and if is ancient! I would say it won’t necessarily be easy to replace as I expect the valves will fail and then require draining to replace. To get a replacement pump you need to measure the distance between valves, probably 130mm, - although if the valves fail this is less important as draining would make it easy to alter.

A new pump here will not affect the hot water.
I presume you have a gravity system, in which case a shower pump is what you will need.

Bear in mind the effectiveness and longevity of the shower pump is greatly impacted by the method of installation, ie it needs to be done properly.

Similar plumbing topics

S
  • Question
Fitting neg pressure pumps may be the answer.
Replies
Views
C
  • Question
Thanks for responding.
Replies
Views
ChristineLondon
C
  • Question
How high is the hill 40m as that will add 4...
Replies
Views
  • Question
You can, as suggested, top up at night/very...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Thanks for the responses, I'll be on the phone...
Replies
Views
Back