Noisy system (pipework) | Gaining Plumbing Experience | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Noisy system (pipework) in the Gaining Plumbing Experience area at Plumbers Forums

M

moony

Problems with noisy system, Unvented cylinder, Telford. Sounds like it's coming from cylinder, when heating is turned on, then Noise stops, the pump is the 3rd one he has had fitted in 4 years, I took vent cap off pump and water is ****ing out, not a good sign, but I don't want to just change pump without knowing what else is wrong with it. Maybe a blockage in cylinder coil?Any thoughts on this please Cheers

Open or sealed heating system moony? Is there a balancing valve on the hot water circuit? Deffo sounds like you have a circulation issue and may well be limited to the Cylinder circuit but could be the primary F/R pipes etc.

With new pump fitted, and if you've got the tools to do so, check out the primary F&R temp differences on h/w only then with c/h on! You should be looking for no more than 22degC, thereabouts, difference. Really high diff indicates restricted circulation yeh? If high on h/w only and okay when c/h running then suspect cylinder f/r. If still high diff when c/h turned on then it's in the primaries and may also be in cylinder depending on system layout!

Goodluck!! :)

The high temp safety cut out hasn't tripped has it? It should also cut supply to boiler but maybe wiring is not right, just a thought

sealed diamondgas, it has an aga running into cylinder also but this is never on.

the noise is coming from the primary flow and return and the noise is in the cylinder, altering the pump speed stops noise for a second or too, then its starts again. i Have temp probes on my analyeser so can check on that - where by flow going into cylinder and flow coming out of cylinder or by the boiler ?

the bloke had no confidence in the previous installer hence the phone call to me. i would really like to sort this out for him.

high temp cut out ? there is a cylinder stat i could check if that has a cut out on it.

I have my unvented cert but i rarely fault find on them to be fair just install.

balancing valve on hot water circuit i didnt see one but there could be what would this cause?

cheers for the replys - really appreciate it

sealed diamondgas, it has an aga running into cylinder also but this is never on.

the noise is coming from the primary flow and return and the noise is in the cylinder, altering the pump speed stops noise for a second or too, then its starts again. i Have temp probes on my analyeser so can check on that - where by flow going into cylinder and flow coming out of cylinder or by the boiler ?

the bloke had no confidence in the previous installer hence the phone call to me. i would really like to sort this out for him.

high temp cut out ? there is a cylinder stat i could check if that has a cut out on it.

I have my unvented cert but i rarely fault find on them to be fair just install.

balancing valve on hot water circuit i didn't see one but there could be what would this cause?

cheers for the replys - really appreciate it

What boiler is being used for the system? may be a factor but not necessarily! You'd put your probes at the boiler f&R, that's were you're wanting to see a gradual rather than rapid clime ... Bye the way, is the noise heat related or water? easy way to find out is run the system with the boiler stat off!

Moony, by-the-way, don't worry about it being unvented, your working with the central heating circuit. Just look at it as a posh cylinder..lol

With that in mind you said it was a sealed system yeh? Sealed central heating not the unvented side? reason i ask is coz you rarely get major circ probs with sealed systems except in hard water area's!

Regards the balancing valve, if it's been messed with it can reduce the flow in the system bringing about noise issues only when on hot water only... Another thing to look out for is a bi-pass and is it set up properly.

If all this noise is down to heat then you need to know that the correct movement of water through the boiler is being achieved at all times so the required temp diff is there, or thereabouts, being maintained ... that's what I'm getting at with all these questions :)

worcestor conventional condensing boiler boiler is water related - noise whenever boiler is on hot or cold.

will look into the other pointers

thanks mate

worcestor conventional condensing boiler boiler is water related - noise whenever boiler is on hot or cold.

will look into the other pointers

thanks mate

Let us know what tomorrow brings ... sometimes you really need a breather just to clear the fog! I don't know you're experience so forgive me if I'm teaching granny to suck eggs...lol

Take a step back, tell the custard to put the kettle on (gets him out the way) Usually a bloke who's skirted these forums and thinks he knows a thing or two ...lol

Relax and watch, listen, feel what's going on! Seriously! If the boiler is not calling for heat & your getting noise issues then it could be a bare bones attack which may well needs experience! If in doubt get some old phart you know to give you a second head, there's nothing wrong in this game in asking for help, In fact it's a must!!! You will never know it all!!

:)

oh its only making a noise when its calling for heat - but starts straight away at the cylinder before it gets hot. DG i take all suggestions on board mate im by no means a beginner but i do come across things sometimes which i ask advice the main reason being i dont throw parts at things and like to give my customers excellent value. the system is working fine but the cylinder is making a deep groaning (vibrating noise) and to be fair ive never come across it at the cylinder before - the pump would be my first port of call and imo with the water coming out of the vent when opening it then i would assume the bearings seal has gone, but the thing that worrys me is why has he gone through 3 pumps in 4 years (this one is 12 onths old) so there may be an underlying problem with the circuit which is causing this?

thanks for the advice DG im always open to it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Only thing that comes to mind regards "deep groaning" in a boiler issue not cylinder when there's a problem with the burner/combustion chamber and the flame visciates! or sometimes when a pump fails and the boiler o'heats! Water related sometimes happens with low resinating water hammer.... ?

Did you manage to get any readings regards f & r diffs?

I'd agree regards the amount of pumps tends to indicate over worked/stressed yeh?

Similar plumbing topics

Thank you for your reply, all TRV's were new...
Replies
Views
Yep, that's what I meant (as per attached...
Replies
Views
D
  • Question
Aqualisa digital showers are great. There is...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Thanks, think I just need the confidence to...
Replies
Views
Back