noisy toilet flush | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss noisy toilet flush in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

rysiu1

Have just changed toilet in upstairs bathroom, in a different position. Last night plumber came to connect it. It is a floor standing in wall cistern. I have noticed now every time it's flushed there is a very loud noise of flushing water, kitchen below bathroom has the large waste pipe and it is noisy, our previous wc didnt cause this noise.

My son used the wc last night and I could here it in my bedroom, which previously I could not.

No tank in loft, water is fed via mains. Plumber away for a fortnight's hols and was wondering if any of you have come across this, and what could remedy the noise. I don't think my plumber is fully experienced so am concerned.

is it the water going down the drain or the cistern refilling that is making the noise?

Both. I have a feeling there is probably a pressure reducing valve needed, if there is such a thing.

there is a small fitting that goes into the inlet to reduce the pressure, looks like a bit of spiral pasta. should have been one with the inlet kit. just realised not new toilet just moved?

Yes, it's a brand new wc system, thought there is something missing. Will let my plumber know and in the meantime put up with the noise!

Should I contact the company who I bought the cistern from, or do you think it's an optional extra which I should have bought with the new wc?

Many thanks for your reply.

it usually comes as part of the inlet you fit it or not depending on your pressure.

Many thanks. Yes apparently an inlet valve to reduce the pressure was missing. Bit annoyed my plumber didn't notice it, when he comes back I will let him know.
After your comments contacted shop where I purchased the wc and they said it was either a washer or inlet valve. Don't know what part exactly, but plumber should know when he returns and the store will provide the part.

Many thanks again.

They are not always provided as standard. You can buy them from many plumbers merchants.

Turning down the service valve wont make any difference. Fit a pressure reducing valve as well as the flow limiter previously discussed.

If you are being disturbed by the sound of running water from the flush, then pack rockwool under the floor and round the pipe for sound deadening.

I'm not sure what the different parts are called inside the inner working of the toilet, but I took off the ball cock and unscrewed the piece which it is attached to. In that there was a large black suction cup which I changed with another toilet along with the washer. now the other toilet has made some noise and the one which used to make noise hasn't made any yet.

It could be fixed, but time will tell. It's usually worse first thing in the morning. Why would that be? It wouldn't make the noise in the middle of the night.

I'm not sure what the different parts are called inside the inner working of the toilet, but I took off the ball cock and unscrewed the piece which it is attached to. In that there was a large black suction cup which I changed with another toilet along with the washer. now the other toilet has made some noise and the one which used to make noise hasn't made any yet.

It could be fixed, but time will tell. It's usually worse first thing in the morning. Why would that be? It wouldn't make the noise in the middle of the night.

water pressure increases during the night when demand falls! in my experience some of the cheaper w/c inlet valves.....mainly opella delchem... fail to shut off completely with lower pressure and make noises. try making sure your stop tap is fully open as this often helps in these situations, failing that get a fluidmaster inlet valve

KJ

I actually fixed the problem. The problem was the big black suction cup inside the inner workings. I'm not a plumber so I don't know the terminology. That fixed the problem though, thanks for your help.

there is a small fitting that goes into the inlet to reduce the pressure, looks like a bit of spiral pasta.

I thought it was a helter-skelter for my ant farm. I wondered how the manufacturer knew I had one:goofy:

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

You may also find pushing the button sharply...
Replies
Views
Was the new pan fitted with a flexible waste...
Replies
Views
The latest Geberit flush valves have an...
Replies
Views
C
Hello My toilet flush is busted. The tank...
Replies
Views
Chris P
C
Probably your main stopcock is not fitted the...
Replies
Views
Back