Noisy toilet or overfill | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Noisy toilet or overfill in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

A

AdamB1

Hi, I have a question about my toilet.

I've noticed if I half close the water valve the filling slow and noisy but it stops once the basin is full. If I open the the water valve fully then it is less noisy but the float cup reaches the top but the water doesn't stop refilling for several seconds leading to overflow going down the overflow pipe.

I could simply decide if I want the nose or the overflow, but Is this normal behaviour? Or is there something I need to replace or adjust?

Thanks

Is your fill height simply set too high?

I'm wondering whether you have an equilibrium type fill valve that takes a few seconds to 'realise' that the correct water level has been reached and so it continues to dispense water for this period? A solution might be to slightly lower the set water level so that the result is the correct height of fill. IIRC the overflow level (which you probably can't adjust) should be at least an inch (25.4mm) higher than the normal fill height (which you can adjust). Of course, the correct fill level will usually be marked on the cistern wall.

The noise you are experiencing is probably coming from the isolation valve... which isn't really designed to be run half open.

Right thanks. I've fully opened the isolator valve and fiddled with the water level thing. I'm not sure exactly what I've changed but it seems to shut off the water faster now when full so no overfill.

Thanks for the advice.

Right thanks. I've fully opened the isolator valve and fiddled with the water level thing. I'm not sure exactly what I've changed but it seems to shut off the water faster now when full so no overfill.

Thanks for the advice.
Good to hear it's now working - even if you're not sure how :)

Similar plumbing topics

best bet buy a new filler they are not dear.
Replies
Views
Hi, could you post a picture of the whole WC...
Replies
Views
Nope to silicon / putty I do it dry just...
Replies
Views
Hello! I was checking something in the toilet...
Replies
Views
Probably your main stopcock is not fitted the...
Replies
Views
Back