Noisy Vaillant | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Noisy Vaillant in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
I

Indexicallity

Any advice on this would be much appreciated as i don't know how to make progress. The boiler(Vaillant ecotec plus 831) is around 4 years old. The problem started between about 18 months to 2 years ago. The boiler functions perfectly well both heating and hot water but maybe two, three, four times a day starts making a kind of rattling/grinding noise which can be quite loud. If i switch the boiler off and then back on 10 seconds later the noise disappears. It may then be fine for the rest of the day or a few hours but it always returns eventually. I can also stop the noise by running the hot water. The noise does not stop if i run the cold.
When about 2 years ago the problem started i seemed to solve it by turning down the temperature dials on both the water and the heating but it then returned (months later)and happens even at lowish temps. I think it only happens in winter when the heating is on.
I made a video of the noise and an engineer looked at it and listened but he said he was unable to make a diagnosis unless the noise was happening when he was in attendance. It does not seem possible to predict when it will happen so i seem to be stuck. Dont know what to do next :disappointed:

If you have trvs fitted on all your radiators, set them all to maximum. Then see if noise still happens.

Further info: The video i have is 80MB so decided not to upload. However the exact same problem noise can be viewed here:

[video=youtube;y-yMEAgEtyM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-yMEAgEtyM[/video]

Lots of comments for this video but very wide range of suggested problems and not clear to me what the solution if any was. My system is combi rather than water tank but noise is identical.

Last edited by a moderator:
Has the boiler been serviced fully every year?

It was serviced once about 18 months ago. However its seems that the service in the first 4 or 5 years consists only of checking the flu gasses and a couple more basic safety items. Service was over in 10 mins and didn't identify any problems even though boiler had been making a noise for some while.

If you have trvs fitted on all your radiators, set them all to maximum. Then see if noise still happens.

Thanks i will try that. I only have trvs upstairs and they are except for 2 already at maximum but will try.

Hi there indexicallity welcome to the forum.
Like already mentioned there isn't anything you can do as a non engineer in this case apart from call one in to have a look. The noise will most likely not dissappear until the problems dealt with.. just make sure if it's pressurised that it has enough pressure in the system (1 bar when cold or 1.5 when hot ).

One of You Tube posts for this video goes - I have seen this problem before and after several calls to vaillants technical line I spoke to someone that knew there stuff. It was down to a thing and doing something to it solves the fault!!
:6:

Last edited by a moderator:
One of You Tube posts for this video goes - I have seen this problem before and after several calls to vaillants technical line I spoke to someone that knew there stuff. It was down to a thing and doing something to it solves the fault!!
:6:

Yes thanks that post also interested me. I have another gas safe engineer coming out on wednesday so i will mention that possibility. There's no way i will touch it myself. Drilling a hole in the air intake sounds simple but where exactly to drill is more problematic.

I think he's telling you not to do it.The hammer on the head means what a stupid idea.You are not allowed to alter any flue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Too much flow through the return needs a...
Replies
Views
No problem. Nice to be thanked and appreciated...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
  • Question
Hi Did you solve the problem with your...
Replies
Views
Could be right above the boiler pipework or...
Replies
Views
C
That's good to know - thank you
Replies
Views
Cabe F
C
Back