Noisy valiant eco tec plus 418 boiler | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Noisy valiant eco tec plus 418 boiler in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

reddwarf4ever

Hi
my original boiler a potterton netaheat was over 20 years old and although having performed very well, was retired 5 years ago. It was replaced with a Valiant ecotec plus 418.
unfortunately at the same time I had an extension built and the original location of the hot water cylinder was moved to an upstairs cupboard just above the boiler, in the kitchen. also the original water make up tank and piping are still in the original location, such that the pipe work runs from the loft tank across a false ceiling to the immersion cylinder and ch pump. In hindsight I should have had the loft tank relocated to be above the immersion tank and ch pump....I was having lots of problems with ingress of air, through the expansion pipe work to the loft tank, so my plumber told me. He joined the expansion pipe to the water outlet from the ch header tank, this stopping the air getting in. this works very well, no more air from the rads. I treated the system 2 years ago with a proprietary chemical and it seems to be doing the job. very little air from the rads.

Recently however the boiler has become noisy, whining and the odd gurgling noises, still very little air and only from one radiator every week or so. I run the boiler at 78oC I have been told this is ok..

the he reason for this is it is running in heat only mode, relying on the immersion cylinder stat to operate the boiler. as the immersion cylinder is only a short distance from the boiler, I am unable to set the boiler temperature any lower as it continually cycles, seems the boiler does not have enough temperature differential to allow it to fire at minimum burn....so have set the cylinder stat to as low as I can to gain the temperature differential, seems to work very well this way even if the heating switches off and the HW is in demand, it rRely shuts down on over temperature, as it did before I reduced the immersion stat and raised the boiler temperature.....the CH boiler is also a little noisy, gurgling noises.....
The boiler has started a low whine, plus a little gurgling sound...this is constant except when it reduces to low firing e.g. hot water only....Not sure if to retreat with chemical treatment and or get the boiler serviced. hasn't been serviced for 3-4 years, which is naughty I guess, but when it's running ok, seem to worry about all the other million things there are to worry about. LOL
As a matter of interest, when the boiler engineer installed this boiler, I asked about the boiler run on timer, as I had done a little research, he said my system didn't have the extra wire and it wasn't up to him to provide it.
I ran a cable from the ch programmer upstairs into the loft, down through a bedroom into the kitchen to the boiler and had an electrician hook it up....seemed poor service from the boiler installer, who wasn't interested in that the boiler kept cutting out due to vast quantities of air in the system, until my plumber resolved it......

thanks

Bet I lost the plot before you

At the moment it is a looong story about poor service from a boiler installer which a plumber put right ...... I think!

sorry, usually I get told I don't put enough background info...
question is >>>Would I be best to,add some more sentinel corrosion inhibitor first, or should I get a service done....don't have a ' usual' service engineer, so would have to take a chance or phone valiant, but think they expensive, hope that's easier for everyone LOL

also, can't see any other way of getting the boiler to run on hot water only without cutting out on high temperature, by setting the boiler at 78oC and cylinder stat a little low ( but above legionnaire setting ) is this acceptable ?

wonder why I changed to an unregistered guest instead of reddwarf4ever ?

Would I be best to,add some more sentinel corrosion inhibitor first, or should I get a service done....don't have a ' usual' service engineer, so would have to take a chance or phone valiant, but think they expensive, hope that's easier for everyone LOL

Tell the service engineer you want it added.

also, can't see any other way of getting the boiler to run on hot water only without cutting out on high temperature, by setting the boiler at 78oC and cylinder stat a little low ( but above legionnaire setting ) is this acceptable ?
Hi
yes that's exactly what I have done already......once it gets going it's fine, but if the heating adjusts on or off the boiler trips and as its warm already just keeps cutting in and out until it finally satisfies the temperature.....I think the tuning is off....I used to work in process control and tune instrumentation.....the boiler seems to turn up the gas fast, even when the temp is increasing, doesn't seem a very clever algorithm / tuning.....I told valant about this, but they said it could not be changed...

Decided to add another dose of corrosion inhibitor, stopped the noises and running much better....

still have issues sues with hot water ....temperature control hunting, guess I will just live with that

If it's in warranty get Vaillant out

out of warranty now....so can the gas control be fine tuned, to respond better to temp rises and falls ?

You will not get any guidance on that mate. In line with forum rules. Sorry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

well, I really cannot see what extra features...
Replies
Views
It could be numerous things, including a flow...
Replies
Views
Or elec bills as it would be running...
Replies
Views
Stick with heat only. You most probably still...
Replies
Views
Back