Not the quickest boiler to service! | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Not the quickest boiler to service! in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MarkOil

IMAG0434.jpg
Came across one of these the other day, not the smallest of boilers, think it took nearly and hour to clean the secondary heat exchanger and turbulators!
Still beats Worcester hands down I reckon.

I really, really really hate the baffles on them.

Worst designed poc I've ever seen on a boiler.

I hate all turbolators no matter what the make, especially if the break in half!

With last employer used to go to a site with 2 of the 70kW vortexs in a boiler house, 52 turbulators each, was a good 1/2 day doing the pair of them.

Theyre easy to service, just take a while, but no longer than comparable boilers. The baffles can be a bit of a tight fit sometimes though.

Theyre easy to service, just take a while, but no longer than comparable boilers. The baffles can be a bit of a tight fit sometimes though.

Bit of a tight fit? That's an understatement!

Nothing that a lump hammer, wrecking bar, blowtorch, angle grinder, ratchet jack and tame gorilla can't overcome.

Careful look at the baffles to see where they are tight & with a small angle grinder take a slight shave off them & no bother for later.
I have just done a Vortex 50/90 in less than 2 hours & that included using a grinder. Easy boiler IMO as it only has one door to remove to get into primary & secondary exchangers. Turbolators are a bore to clean.

to satisfy my curiosity whats a turbulator? and what does it do

I must get the bone idle feckless ones that make the intervals between services as long as possible meaning the baffles have warped slightly and welded themselves in.

Even the tears of a frustrated boilerman fail to shift them.......

my curiosity has been satified its a baffle. im baffled as to why it isnt called a baffle :44:

It takes the flue gasses on a final trip round a secondary hex, cooled by the primary return. The Turbulators spin the flue gasses which allegedly allows more heat to exchange. Or summat like that.

I must get the bone idle feckless ones that make the intervals between services as long as possible meaning the baffles have warped slightly and welded themselves in.

Even the tears of a frustrated boilerman fail to shift them.......

...secret is to try to only service the ones you have fitted & serviced regularly!
When you spend a lot of time grinding some of the baffles & making sure the boiler shell is cleaned back to metal & obviously burner set nicely, then a year later & that service should be very easy.

This is one Jules.

f_1626099.jpg

Basically they go in the holes in the secondary heat exchanger to maximise the surface area heated up by the flue gasses.

left.jpg

Anyway, you think Grant ones are bad...dont get me started about the Firebird ones

what they save by not servicing regularly, I find they spend in time spend getting the boiler back on line, so save over 2 years means costs them 3 or 4 x annual servicing cost, they soon learn.

Anyway, you think Grant ones are bad...dont get me started about the Firebird ones

but everyone expects Firebird ones to be like that though

is the firebird the one that always leaks? i remember doing them with my old boss as an apprenticce! he was for hours replacing seals ect inside them! each one was leaking somewhere!

is the firebird the one that always leaks?!
They say they had a few problems about 10 years ago but Ive never see one leak. Had half a dozen Grants and many more Worcesters go tho (old ones).

They say they had a few problems about 10 years ago but Ive never see one leak. Had half a dozen Grants and many more Worcesters go tho (old ones).

Worcesters with the silly condense connection ontop that always leaks ?

Firebirds may have improved but there are plenty of the older ones around. Another annoying problem is the plastic outlet for the condensate which disintegrates after a couple of years leaving a nasty rusty sludgy mess all over the bottom of the boiler casing, and occasionally messes up the customer's laminate floor around the boiler.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

R
Wb 4000 recently installed, and just balanced...
Replies
Views
Return temperature
R
I'm going to go tomorrow to switch it off for...
Replies
Views
G
Didn’t grease the oring before refitting...
Replies
Views
You've already spent thousands on a new boiler...
Replies
Views
Does it have a flame diffuser? Original...
Replies
Views
Back