NPower v British Gas combi boilers | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss NPower v British Gas combi boilers in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

nicholasbarter

I've just had a quote from NPower and British Gas to replace my standard boiler and fit a new combi boiler.

NPower quoted £3050 (after a discount of 379.20) whilst British gas quoted £4049.42 (after a discount of £300).

The only main differences I could tell was that BG would fit thermostatic radiator values to 6 radiators with a bypass on the 7th, whilst NP doesn't (advised me to buy and fit them myself). NP include 5 years worth of servicing free, BP 1 year.

NP are offering a Valliant ecotec pro 24 boiler and BP are offering a Glowworm flexicom 30cx boiler. (BP quoted the boiler at £1326.42 ex VAT).
Is the price difference mainly due to BG overcharging on the boiler (which can be found for £565 ex VAT)?

What does everyone think? Is there anything else I should know/think about?

Blimey , Id fit you two boilers for the NP price , no wonder im skint.:)

I've just had a quote from NPower and British Gas to replace my standard boiler and fit a new combi boiler.

NPower quoted £3050 (after a discount of 379.20) whilst British gas quoted £4049.42 (after a discount of £300).

The only main differences I could tell was that BG would fit thermostatic radiator values to 6 radiators with a bypass on the 7th, whilst NP doesn't (advised me to buy and fit them myself). NP include 5 years worth of servicing free, BP 1 year.

NP are offering a Valliant ecotec pro 24 boiler and BP are offering a Glowworm flexicom 30cx boiler. (BP quoted the boiler at £1326.42 ex VAT).
Is the price difference mainly due to BG overcharging on the boiler (which can be found for £565 ex VAT)?

What does everyone think? Is there anything else I should know/think about?
id get a few more quotes from some independent plumbers
using the ecto tec you dont need a bypass as a full system bypass is fitted
to comply with part l you must have trv's on at least the bedroom rads
the np quote is the best, better boiler and 5 years servicing although the pro only has a 1 year guarentee

If its just servicing they are offering not breakdown cover for five years its not worth it , they wont do anything except take a reading with a gas analyser , should gas rate or check burner pressure but dont , I fiited a gas hob this afternoon and customer had BG engineer round in the morning to service boiler , said he wasnt there five mins used analyser asked her how many rads she had and if everything was ok filled out paperwork and went , NP will be similar. As said above get quotes from local independant registered installers when looking at quotes check if they are including limescale reducer , powerflush /cleansing , inhibitor ,TRV's and programable room stat , as well as comparing make of boiler KW output ,hot water flow rate and manufacturers guarantee . All will be included for alot less than the NP quote (dont worry about a service contract )

that is incredibly expensive. I would do that for half the money and be happy with it.

I agree with everyone that the quotes you have very expensive. I would install a Vaillant Ecotec 824 combi and fit rad valves on a conversion for 2k on average.

do yourself, and your local trade a good deal.
ring a local registered plumber.
he will be cheaper, would love to service your boiler every year and be at least 30% cheaper guaranteed, with no hard sell on monthly "emergency" be there in 24 hour service agreements. which i can prove are a total lie.

shaun

or choose 1 of the above plumbers who has offered. ( local is better )

I worked for a couple of company's that subbed to BG.

Wow! Do BG add on!

Anyway BG aren't the nationally owned BG we remember.

They are Centrica who are just an ordinary company.

So why not pick a local guy its the same thing.

just did a vaillant eco tec 831 plus flush and 6 trvs and new lockshields 1900.00 use local guys

I worked for a couple of company's that subbed to BG.

Wow! Do BG add on!

Anyway BG aren't the nationally owned BG we remember.

They are Centrica who are just an ordinary company.

So why not pick a local guy its the same thing.

how do bg add on ????

Yes but NP do roll out the red carpet for you (literally).

Get a couple of local plumbers to quote. NG should be fitting T.R.V's, its part L building regs. Also read through the small print with regards to after care.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

We've just sorted one of these situations...
Replies
Views
Ideal Vouge 32 kw would suit 10 year...
Replies
Views
I know who you are, I was just interested in...
Replies
Views
Sorry I should have mentioned the reason I ask...
Replies
Views
A
Living in the country, then why not oil...
Replies
Views
Back