NVQ 2 and wage increase | Plumbing Courses | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss NVQ 2 and wage increase in the Plumbing Courses area at Plumbers Forums

F

flavourshaker

Hi everyone
Im 18 and Ive been doing a C&G NVQ level 2 course at college (day release) since last sept and i am nearing the end of the course now, 3 more exams left (electrical basics, lead then the overall exam) am on the lead welding, so almost finished practical and only need one more site visit. Im predicting i should be done before march (when i get my folder and practical finished i will ask if i can revise and just take the exams)

Ive been doing alot of looking around on the internet for some indication of what the average wage should be for an NVQ level 2 qualified plumber but cant seem to find anything. Im currently on £2.70 an hour which hasnt changed at all since i started the course and the company i work for isnt part of any plumbing union. Is there a minimum wage i should expect once ive 'passed' my Lv 2

Last edited by a moderator:
As a 2nd year apprentice you should be on £5.77 per hour (2008).

Here's a link to the Amicus Promulgated Rates for JIB-PMES

http://www.amicustheunion.org/pdf/REVISEDPAYAGREEMENTfor2009.pdf

Local Authority (direct works) employees can expect to be on these rates for Craft Apprenticeships.

At the end of the day working for a private Company, or a small firm it's down to you to prove and value your own worth, and then negotiate with your employer.

It's also down to your employer whether they value your services and if so whether they can afford and are prepared to pay you the going rate...

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Jon.

Well its definitely got to come up when i turn 19 (in june) min wage is like £4.90 or something. I just hate not being able to afford anything esp when things like car insurance costs £1750, took 6 months to save up for that lol

I thought you count as more or less 'qualified' once you pass the course and therefore entitled to whatever the going rate should be for a plumber with that qualification (this is what ive heard from other plumbers ive worked with therefore their word isnt likely to mean squat lol)

you are qualified when you pass to nvq 2 standard.
don't mean your worth £200 etc labour aday. ask them if they are willing to pay you full money, i bet they soon shut up then.

to me nvq's are not worth the paper they are on its the experience i want. that you won't get reading a book.

i can read books on subjects back to front but damed if i understand them.

£1750 - I'm not surprised. It's common for 17-24 year olds to be paying this much. My insurance cost me around £3K!

£1750 fully comp was cheap!
Yeah i do realise where your going with the 'experince' side of it, my firm seems to base its pay structure on qualifications which would explain why its remained at the minimum wage level ~ around £80 - £100 a week for the last 19 months lol. To be fair we have a LV 2 qualified plumber whos been doing it for 8 years and gets just over £8 an hour and 2 adult plumber/labourers (no quals) who both earn just over £7 an hour. You can see its not a very high paying fim at all lol

ive been in exactly the same position mate, i was always told the wages would come with experiance and it has proved to be correct! just stick in and as soon as you get your certificate after those 3 exams take it to your boss and he should be able to see your capabilitys then increase your wage. what about the time served plumbers aty your firm, do u know what their hourly rate is?

Theres the guy i mentioned in the previous post whos got 8 years exp and a nvq lv 2 - around £8 an hour> then weve got a Lv 3 qualified plumber with his domestic gas and i couldnt say what hes on, I believe around the £11 - 13 mark.
One of the labourer guys i mentioned earlier has alot of experience. Hes been plumbing for 11 years, unfortunatly he didnt stick to his course and didnt gain his NVQ. Hes on just over £7. This makes me think that experience doesnt necceseraly relate to hourly rates. This guy is good and if he did have the matching qualifications hed be worth £10 according to my boss.

Similar plumbing topics

O
  • Article
Any experience with Optima Electrical Training...
Replies
Views
OLG0824
O
O
  • Article
Are at home Level 2 courses actually viable...
Replies
Views
OLG0824
O
Hi PythonCrazy, I'm interested to know if you...
Replies
Views
per week before all the bits get taken off...
Replies
Views
Back