Oil Boiler constantly locking out | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Oil Boiler constantly locking out in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Martin O

I have an oil fired Grant Boiler, it is constantly locking out, there is plenty of oil in the tank, it has been bled through several times but air is constantly getting into the line causing it to lock out.

It has an old steel tank which has a plastic tube fuel level gauge, what I have noticed is that when the boiler fires and runs ( It can run for 2 minutes or an hour) the fuel from the gauge is emptied and drawn back into the tank, when the boiler locks out the oil fills back into the gauge but with air bubbles in it, also when the boiler is running is sounds like someone is having a bath in the oil tank the oil is swirling and lapping against the sides... is this normal ? Can it be pulling air in or is it possible all the oil movement is creating air in the tank.

Have you pressed the green button on the gauge.?
try it to see a true level.

Your engineer will have some sport with this one but a competent engineer could sort it :)

Hi, there is no button on it (its very old), but when the boiler is not in use it does rise to the correct level.

Already had an engineer out, he was not much use, changed injector and photo cell but did'nt solve the problem. Should oil be swirling around in the tank when the boiler is in use, is this normal ?

sounds like youll be needing a new pump soon, check tank level first via the inlet or inspection flap

Sounds like it is a 2 pipe right back to the tank. Get someone better in to look at it than whoever has been at it recently.

Got somebody else coming out but he can't get to me till Christmas eve.

Tell us more about the set up at the tank, take a photo if poss. You will need an engineer though, check the OFTEC website for a local registered chap.

Is the boilet graviyy fed or is the tank below the level of the boiler.

Tank valve is possibly blocked, probably a valve with a tiny grubscrew, then the on/off wheelhead underneath, the the sightube, then filter, then off to boiler.
turn off tiny grub screw remove and clean valve, job done.
Could be that anyway.

Tank valve is possibly blocked, probably a valve with a tiny grubscrew, then the on/off wheelhead underneath, the the sightube, then filter, then off to boiler.
turn off tiny grub screw remove and clean valve, job done.
Could be that anyway.

this could be a good or a bad ending :) pictures needed of tank valve first would be my reccommendation

Thanks for all the replies, I finally solved the problem today (I hope), as I mentioned in my earlier post the oil in sight gauge tube for the oil level was drawn back into the tank when the boiler was in use, then when it locked out it would refill with oil and air bubbles in it. The tube is fitted into the tank valve so I guessed that if bubbles were coming out they must also be going in. Got rid of the tube and capped it off. Boiler has been running all day with no lock outs so fingers crossed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

If i turn the temperature dial right down on...
Replies
Views
External hounsfield heat only. If you really...
Replies
Views
Will try to upload pic again
Replies
Views
Z
Need more details. What boiler, what burner...
Replies
Views
All fixed. Changing the nozzle and cleaning...
Replies
Views
Back