oil boiler flue | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss oil boiler flue in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

plumber18

Hi i had to reline my chimney with a flexi flue which is serving my oil boiler in the kitchen and at the back of this chimney is my sitting room fireplace. the problem is that when the oil boiler is working i get fumes into the sitting room via the chimney. i never had this problem b4 the flexi flue was in stalled what could be the problem??

i have no joint its connected to the boiler in the kitchen no smell in there and then goes straight out to the open and a cowl installed at this point so no joints. smell is in sitting room only

in that case i'd be looking at boiler seals. cap flue, put a nice orange pill in boiler and light it. if your lucky it will be burner/boiler seal.
keep your windows open, else your missus will be reminding you for the next ten years of the fact that you turned them orange.
if you find a leak in boiler sections, easily repaired with plumbaflu silicone

ok. But the boiler is in the kitchen and am getting no smell in there its only in the sitting room that there is a smell. it seems to be coming down the chimney. the sitting room fire flue and oil flue are seperate but they use same pot on roof. cowl for oil boiler is appox 6 inchs below flue for sitting room fire

How about doing a standard flue test with a smoke pellet, which was suggested above, and try some of the previous suggestions, then you may resolve your problem. If they dont resolve the issue then you comments on your cowls being to close are your answer

Last edited by a moderator:
Check the boiler flue with the orange pill first. If that's not it, then let us know.

Unlikely to be backdraught down the chimney. Light a joss stick and hold it near the hearth when you are getting the smell and see if air is blowing back down the chimney.

hi ive removed the cowl fron the top still no joy. I extended the flue at chimney pot bout foot over solid flue flue liner and done a smoke test only place smoke appeared was at the top where it should be coming out

Have you tested the sitting room flue for down-draft?
Martin

yes have tested all chinmeys i even added a extra flue pipe to the sitting room chimney and still not solved the problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

In the back of the fireplace there will be a...
Replies
Views
As a precaution report this to the building...
Replies
Views
I've been a heating engineer for over 15years...
Replies
Views
Yep I think that’s got to be the next step. I...
Replies
Views
Back