oil boiler off | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss oil boiler off in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

CXR100

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
somebody just phoned me asking if i can look at their oil boler, they dont know the make!!! or model!!!! it stays on for a bit then goes off apparantley! what could it be? going to lockout because of oil filter blocked or something???

c'mon my crystal ball is all foggy at present, you need to go and look to get a sensible diagnosis

well im going to have a look tommorow night as when he phoned me tonight i was still at a job and would be there for a few more hours (on the beach having a bbq !!!!!! ) . ill keep you updated!!

somebody just phoned me asking if i can look at their oil boler, they dont know the make!!! or model!!!! it stays on for a bit then goes off apparantley! what could it be? going to lockout because of oil filter blocked or something???

check solenoid. it may be going open line when it heats up.

Look for the probables first.

Decent supply of oil (low level causes problems).
Thermostats (hot water) - and room IF they're heating(!) - are calling for heat
Clean flue

BTW, Croppie - we're not that good - we're simply brilliant :grin:

heat got to me today , turned up at tommorrows customer today!!!, couldnt do anything as the range was burning away at full tilt:(

Had a lad from work ring me today.

"Croppie! How do you turn an aga off?"
"Apart from showing it pictures of my ex wife I don't really know. Oil or gas?"
"Oil."
"Turn the oil off."
"Will that do it?"
"I should hope so!"

right the boiler was a camray 5 combi , never worked on one before , anyway when i open hot tap the water is not getting hot, the flow and return to the heat exchanger ar hot (very) , the guy told me that if he leaves it for a day and then open hot tap he may get a little bit of hot water , when i touched boiler cover where the circut board was it did a humming noise inside!!!!! they have recently been doing work outside on the mains , could it be a blocked h/e??? or partialy blocked? i suppose no owater would come out of the tap if this was the problem????

i can hear flow switch clicking when taps are opened, and FLOW light comes on

Had a lad from work ring me today.

"Croppie! How do you turn an aga off?"
"Apart from showing it pictures of my ex wife I don't really know. Oil or gas?"
"Oil."
"Turn the oil off."
"Will that do it?"
"I should hope so!"

then leave it 6 hours before sticking your mits near it:)

if he told me the make i could of printed that off and used it!!! damm! the tank and flow lights were on and sill wasnt getting hot water ! as it was a rented house he is going to ask his landlord first!

a silly question for you now, how do i test a flow switch , just hhook it up to the multimeter, i put it on the function where it beeps if the current passess thru , can i do ohms or something on it??

It's not the flow switch. HSA3CD, check the head and the motion of the valve.

how would i check the head, just remove it and see if its turning, i was just thinking now, i turned the boiler to winter mode and heating didnt come on, i was thinking could it be the pump? would this cause a trickle of hot water then none?

thanks lame, any other books i could keep on the van??? the lad i worked for before worked for bg for 10 years and he wasgood with boilers, learnt a lot off him , just after leaving for a year to do maintanance plumbing for beter wages i think im loosing my knolage ( the tiny bit that i did have) i remember now i cliped my hand in the pump and it was scalding, a sing of it being siezed maby? why i didnt check i can not tell you! the customer man was standing by me looking at everything wich made me nervous!

you need to sit down with the boiler and go through the start up procedure of a boiler and rule out what is working and what isnt, to see what is wrong, not being funny but diagnosing by ideas here and there isnt going to work in the long run. either go and work with an experienced guy or have a look at jr and take his advice, oils the same as gas in the long term, and he shows how to test individual parts.

other books you may want are the oftec manuals, esp pressure jet volume.

Last edited by a moderator:
Had exactly the same problem with the same model boiler. Spent some time trying to figure out and it suddenly started working OK and has been fine ever since. Never did manage to find the cause in the end but I think it may have been a stuck diverter valve.

" would this cause a trickle of hot water then none?"

Do you mean the actual flow of water stopped or that it just ran cold???

When you get a call for a boiler breakdown you need to ask a set of basic questions. What boiler is, which model etc etc and the biggie 'you do have oil in the tank? are you sure?'

When you get a call for a boiler breakdown you need to ask a set of basic questions. What boiler is, which model etc etc and the biggie 'you do have oil in the tank? are you sure?'
And, is it a Worcester Bosch combi? It is? Oh sorry Im busy *click*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Yep, thought so...
Replies
Views
External hounsfield heat only. If you really...
Replies
Views
hi, no current pipework in concrete i believe...
Replies
Views
Was the oil pressure checked before replacing...
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Back