Oil boiler safety light coming on | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Oil boiler safety light coming on in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

LINDSEKI

Hi.....i hope someone can help me ?? I have an oil fired back boiler and the safety light (red) button cuts in after a few min utes. I have pressed reset about 5 times now but it won't stay on !! (so have switched off boiler now). I had oil delivered about 3 weeks ago and has been working fine until last night. I will call out an engineer if i have to but am trying to see if we can sort it first.
I have put a water soaker in tank this morning as i am wondering if there is condensation in tank. The tank only had approx 100 litres in it before we had it filled. I am wondering if there maybe condensation as it was warm weather and now getting colder ??!!!!
The reason why i put a water soaker in is because i have had this " safety cut out" problem before and i cannot remember if it was because of condensation or something else ( it was years ago now). i did have it serviced last year.

could it just be condensation or is it likely to be something else ?? any suggestions welcome :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it probably just requires a service especially if this was last done around a year ago.

Everything has had to work really hard the last 12 months so I would say a service is due and should pick it up.

Could be anything. As it is due a service, you are better getting it all sorted now. Servicing it, won't guarantee it won't breakdown. It could easily have a electrical part faulty, like the solenoid, but no point in you changing parts yourself unless sure.

If the boiler does run for a few minutes ( not seconds ), then it could be solenoid on oil pump. Control box & photocell, next things to consider. That's assuming the boiler & oil line are ok.

Last edited:
A favour if I may?

Please tell the engineer how it's been behaving for two reasons:

1. If after servicing it won't start it will help him diagnose the fault much more quickly and there's a good chance that he fixes it there and then.
2. There is nothing more exasperating than trying to start a boiler after servicing when a customer says there's nothing wrong with it!!

e.g.
"It was fine till you touched it!"
Muttering to oneself, "How did it work when the pump was seized?"
"When can you return to fix it?"
Sharp intake of breath ... "6 weeks?" ... mutter under breath "After Christmas............2013"
:44:

A favour if I may?

Please tell the engineer how it's been behaving for two reasons:

1. If after servicing it won't start it will help him diagnose the fault much more quickly and there's a good chance that he fixes it there and then.
2. There is nothing more exasperating than trying to start a boiler after servicing when a customer says there's nothing wrong with it!!

e.g.
"It was fine till you touched it!"
Muttering to oneself, "How did it work when the pump was seized?"
"When can you return to fix it?"
Sharp intake of breath ... "6 weeks?" ... mutter under breath "After Christmas............2013"
:44:

My golden rule for urgent 'services', in fact any service, is to run it before you start. Does away with the 'well it worked before you touched it'. :) :) :) :)

FSD could be suited up if its not been serviced for 12 months.

My golden rule for urgent 'services', in fact any service, is to run it before you start. Does away with the 'well it worked before you touched it'. :) :) :) :)

I was taught that too but still occasionally forget to ask or to run it first.

Thanks everyone....I have been honest with the engineer company and have told them all about the fault and they are coming out as a breakdown call today and then i will book a service when he is here.
I will let you know later what he diagnoses !! fingers crossed its just a filter or something small !! I had the solenoid bit changed last time so hopefully its not that again :)

Has the flue been swept recently? If not, get it swept before you get the boiler serviced.

Hi, thanks evryone.....engineer been and gave it all a good clean up, changed nozzle and think he may of cleaned photocell. He turned it on and all seemed fine until he left !!!! ten minutes after it cut out and safety light came on...tried a reset after few mins but then only worked for 5 mins !! thought maybe third time lucky but no it just cut out again after 5 mins. Texted engineer and he is coming back tomorrow !! so maybe it is the solenoid thingy !! will let u know :)

5 minutes failing could be solenoid. Also can be control box. Engineer, after working at boiler should really be getting it going immediately & waiting as long as he can, so as to check it keeps going. Make him a cup of tea! :smile5:

YIPPEEEEE !! all fixed...it was the solenoid "doodah" thing....and gonna be charged 35 for part and labour/call out fee...so am very chuffed. He is the best plumber we ever had so he had plenty of tea !! He did wait around here for about 20 mins yesterday after he finished and seemed fine so it was sods law that it was only ten mins after he actually left that it cut out again.
As soon as i explained today that each time i turned it on it seemed to cut out quicker and quicker and i heard it clicking today he knew it was the solenoid.
Many many thanks guys for all your suggestions/advice....i am very grateful...i would recommend this forum to anyone :wings: :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Yes everything worked fine before. Is there a...
Replies
Views
External hounsfield heat only. If you really...
Replies
Views
All fixed. Changing the nozzle and cleaning...
Replies
Views
Z
Need more details. What boiler, what burner...
Replies
Views
Will try to upload pic again
Replies
Views
Back