oil boiler smoking | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss oil boiler smoking in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

b.lynch plum

Oil feed boilers not my thing but mother inlaw just called saying there is smoke coming from the boiler in the house!(I know that's not good lol) just looking for ideas? I will find out make ands mod when I get there, clearly the flue is blocked or the burnner isn't burnning right any thoughts?

Turn it off immediately and call a oftec registered engineer.

It will need cleaning out, the fault identifying and combustion setting up correctly.

It needs serviced and adjusted, a new nozzle and will definitely need a good clean out.
The flue isn't blocked or it wouldn't be working but get it seen to quickly as it will choke itself quite quick.

If it is a lot of smoke turn it off

Ya just got hear and iv turned it off cheers for the fast reply, it does need a clean lol

Ya tell me about it, they live on a farm and they just leave things for years and never want to spend money on fixing things right intill they need to replace the hole thing! Stupid isn't the word

Dont let the old man supervize the techie, hell be having a go himself next yr, typical fmrs

Lucky they're not dead from it. Carbon monoxide is lethal

smoking means its in need of a good service probably not been done for a while im guessing? good clean out and a new nozzle at the least in the mean time dont use it could be dangerous! get an oftec technician asap

Take an old vac and lots of dust sheets....rather you than me!!
You might want to get a 'soot breaker' to shove in there once you've changed the nozzle. I use DualX - super stuff.

Ya thanks every1 I sortted out without the farmer father in law watching lol :)

You didnt tell us you were oftec qualified at the start of the thread!

No I'm not but got some1 to do it and made sure it was when the cows needed milking lol

You didnt tell us you were oftec qualified at the start of the thread!
You don't have to be OFTEC registered (there is no OFTEC qualification) to service boilers.

out of interest how did you set it up, did you use a fga, smoke pump, pressure gauges etc or just change the nozzle?

You don't have to be OFTEC registered (there is no OFTEC qualification) to service boilers.

Not going to agree or disagree on this but dont you think that you need some knowledge etc before attempting to set up an appliance that has the potential to kill before things go wrong. You do have to be able to prove competence if things go wrong how do you prove your competence to work on oil?

Not going to agree or disagree on this but dont you think that you need some knowledge etc before attempting to set up an appliance that has the potential to kill before things go wrong. You do have to be able to prove competence if things go wrong how do you prove your competence to work on oil?
Its not a question of agree or disagree, its a fact. Im not suggesting its appropriate either, personally it would be better if you had to be registered. I was simply responding to your previous post. Like you say, any boiler can be dangerous if handled by a non competent person but so can your car.

its a fact that british standards say you have to be qualified and belong to a registered body to prove competence etc etc, this has all been done before on older threads.

Oftec 101 course will qualify you to service or commission pressure jet oil boilers.
It will not teach you how to do it though! :smile:

Lol I would like to jump on a course to be able to do oil to be fair, as iv got my F gas and I do a lot of combi installs and plumbing with sgr mate even tho I think I could work out jet burnners I would still like to be shown the right ways round them so I could like you say set the burnner up right

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

I'm going to go tomorrow to switch it off for...
Replies
Views
Np Simon. Hoping to get the boiler engineer...
Replies
Views
hi, no current pipework in concrete i believe...
Replies
Views
Back