Oil burner problem | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Oil burner problem in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

WHPES

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Had a problem with an oil burner today. Burner going to lockout and I found that the control unit wasn't sending power to the electrodes. Replaced it (Honeywell TF832.3) and found that the ignitor worked but the solenoid wasnt getting triggered. However if you turn the thermostat down then up again, the silenoid clicks open and the boiler fires. On checking the voltage to the solenoid coil, at the beginning you get about 60v which doesnt trigger the solenoid. FLicking the thermostat off and on gives you 240v.

I am presuming there is a fault with the control box. Anyone ever had this happen to them?

Last edited:
I have had the same problem / it turned out to be a lack of combustion air (inlet)
I took the balanced flue pipe connection off and it was ok
It was a new install and the supplied flue was not the correct one for the burner rating

Never had that one before, sounds like something sticking in the new control box. Take it that it was a new out of the box control box? Wouldn't be the first time though that a 'new' part was faulty. Caught me out a few times in the past thinking that 'new', 'out of the box' can't possibly be faulty. :)

I have had the same problem / it turned out to be a lack of combustion air (inlet)
I took the balanced flue pipe connection off and it was ok
It was a new install and the supplied flue was not the correct one for the burner rating

I'm not getting the solenoid to trigger at all to let oil in - don't get as far as oil coming in and not igniting througn insufficient air. Will be onto the suppliers in the morning.

I don't have a magnet to try it witn but I assume it will. Basically it's not getting enough voltage at the start to work the solenoid. When you click the stat off and on again it seems to get full voltage and runs the burner until the boiler reaches the thermostat setting and cuts off.

could the fault possibly be with the stat? wot voltage are you gettting comimg out of the stat when your only getting 60v at the sol' valve

I don't have a magnet to try it witn but I assume it will. Basically it's not getting enough voltage at the start to work the solenoid. When you click the stat off and on again it seems to get full voltage and runs the burner until the boiler reaches the thermostat setting and cuts off.

Try the Air inlet hose as it suprised me too as well as the manufacturer

I have known engineers had a problem with the control box base with a hairline crack causing problems, it sounds electrical, obviously a pain to re wire but worth a go

Was neither of what I thought - turned out to be a bad contact on the wiring to the photocell.

Well found!! Bet you were chuffed with that!

Many thanks for posting the solution - had me stumped (but then many oil burner problems do - in fairness to me though, I've yet to be defeated.)

nasty one, not come across that before. I'll have to remember that!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

L
With no pressure gauge or flue gas analyser...
Replies
Views
L
Camray 5 (90A) (20 year old) oil boiler, had a...
Replies
Views
Lincoln22
L
All sorted now and running better than ever...
Replies
Views
Coil.......................................plus...
Replies
Views
"While zone 2 is running if I turn up the...
Replies
Views
Back