Oil Filling your meter | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Oil Filling your meter in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

Will_D

Guys

We have an Actaris Delta G16 gas meter fitted in the rugby club

When I started to read the meter ( to get a handle on our consumption profile) I noticed that:

1. In the meter cabinet there was a bottle of red oil ( in a 250 ml wash bottle type thingy )

2. The mechanical readout bit has an oil fill port at the top and a some level indications. So that is where the oil should go?

So I rang the gas supplier:

I phoned our gas supplier (Flogas.ie) asked for tech. help, and after a minute or 5 they just gave me a number for a local registered gas contractor??

Can I just fill up the oil reservoir? The installation is approaching 7 years old, so where has the oil gone?

Also: If oiled: Does the meter read high or low?
If NO oil does it read High or Low?

We pay enough to the gas company already !!!

Cheers

Will (MRFC)

Don't touch it Will!

What you have there is a rotary meter. The only people permitted to do any work on these are the gas carrier, Flogas in this case, or their authorised agents.

Also never ever EVER reset these, no matter how great the temptation. There is, rarely, a possibility the diaphragm in the slamshut could tear sending 4bar of gas pressure to your boiler.

These meters should only be read by the appropriate person. The gas carrier is responsible for maintenance, servicing and breakdowns, including the topping up of the oil.

Do not touch this yourself and you are unlikely to find any registered gas guy who will be able to do it correctly or have the authority to do so. It is a bit like tampering with your electric meter. Not very advisable. It is the problem or responsibility of your supplier to service the meter at regular intervals (you already pay for this service in your billing).
If the meter is low on oil it will read in your favour so don't worry that it may be costing you. It isn't.

If the meter is low on oil it will read in your favour so don't worry that it may be costing you. It isn't.

I like this!!

The installation is 6 years old and I am interseted as to how Flogas are reading our meter - as its in a secure area to stop keg theft!

Like the water meter ( that is well secured: inside a locked room inside the locked area ) there is a meter on the street

Will defo not touch!!

Will try again to talk to Flogas

Many thanks for this info

Will ( MRFC )

However the old grey matter won't go to sleep!!

Am used ( as a domestic ) to understanding the normal consumer gas meter and what it looks like

Why is ours ( commercial ) so different that it needs an oil reservoir or the meter?

Sorry, but I am a bit of a techno geek and try to understand things ( My Mrs says "F***ing" everything !! )

Will

If your still awake Will. Here is how the meter works. It is a rotary meter. Domestic meters are diaphragm meters which work in a totally different way. Rotaries are not used domestically. They won't need to get in to read it if it has a pulse block or chatterbox, again different to domestic but you will be getting a version of this at home soon named as smart metering (for your benefit of course Not!). It can be read remotely.

rotary.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

D
Replies
Views
Back