Oil fired boiler positioning - regs??? | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Oil fired boiler positioning - regs??? in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mtrueman

Hi

We are currently having an extension built but having a bit of trouble working out where we can put our oil fired boiler (Boulter Classic). We want it as hidden as possible, preferably in a kitchen cabinet behind a door.

Dimensions of the boiler are 450 wide x 600 deep x under worktop height.

The main problem is that the boiler needs servicing from the top, so we would need to put it under a removable bit of worktop, which we dont want as it would break up the continuous run of worktop that we are planning to have.

Our 2 options are as follows, but im having trouble getting the plumber to let me know which, if any of these options, complies with regs.

1. Place the boiler in a 600 wide larder unit. Ideally this would be raised off the ground so as not to interrupt the run of plinth. This would be in a corner with the flue over 600mm from all windows etc to comply with regs. The concern here is - can we have the boiler raised off the floor and in a unit with 75mm space to each side. The other problem is that the unit is 600mm front to back, so ideally we would like to get it set back slightly into the plaster/blockwork so that we can have a door on the front of it - units are 570mm deep.

2. Place the boiler under a removable bit of worktop that is separate from the rest of the worktop. We have an ideal space for this, but it would mean that the flue exits too close to the patio doors/bathroom window and our plumber dismissed it. Would it be possible to run a flue pipe externally to a position that complies with regs?

Any thoughts? The tall cabinet option is preferred.

Cheers

Mark

Last edited by a moderator:
no engineer likes working on a boiler in a small cupboard, takes twice as long and can be a pain. best option, get an external boiler fitted outside.

no engineer likes working on a boiler in a small cupboard, takes twice as long and can be a pain. best option, get an external boiler fitted outside.

That's fair enough, but id rather pay the plumber the extra for it being a pain than spring another £1k plus on an external boiler.

Ext is quieter, less smelly and better to live with in the long term. Plus your kitchen wont be pulled apart for a simple service/repair, youd be surprised how easily £1k disappears after a few long services!

You will always, always smell an oil boiler no matter how well maintained,

I tend to have a very short fuse with boilers that have had cupboards built round them 'because it looks nice!'

Not after I've torn them to pieces to allow for ventilation they don't

As far as I can tell from having watched services and repairs on the boiler, everything is accessed from a removable front panel or at the top, where the baffles live. The internals just seem to pull out of the front of the boiler so i dont see servicing being a problem in a cupboard for this particular boiler. For my second option, the boiler wouldnt be in a cupboard per-se, just under a worktop and pretty much fully accessible, it's just the routing of the flue that i wondered about in that scenario.

Plus buying a new boiler isnt an option at the moment unfortunately.

Im asking about regulations regarding putting them in a cupboard, not about how hard it is for a plumber to service it.

You may have problems getting the correct flue soyou may have to get a conventional flue from a flue company, this could cost you a few hudred pounds

The boiler manufaturers instructions will tell you the clearances and spacings that are to be adhered to.
Why spend x000 £ on a kitchen and build it around your old boiler.

coz its cheaper and makes a massive budget look better to the eye but costs in the long run!!! ps not in the mood for nifty responses

I just noticed the comment regarding raising the boiler to maintain the plinth line.

Bearing in mind the boiler MUST be installed on a solid non flammable base...... That'll look choice!

So basically the op's spending a fortune having a new extension and kitchen built but wants to scrimp on the one thing in his house that will kill him given a chance!

If it was parked on the drive it would be changed.
I've never understood peoples mentality taking the thing that makes their lives most comfortable, heat and hot water, and scrimping on it.
Over its lifespan the price of buying a boiler costs about the same as a daily paper.

If you aren't going to spring for an external one then build some sort of shed/lean too around it outside, making sure you leave sufficient room to service/repair without it being an issue.

Other than that, it needs to be on the floor, it needs to be away from openings in the building fabric as per regs, it needs adequate room around it to allow service and repair and it needs VENTILATION.

Just put it where it needs to be with a piece of removable worktop.

Just out of interest, Boulter classic, non condensing conventional boiler! reinstalling wouldn't meet reg's anyway wherever it's put.
Isn't reinstalling the same as a new installation?

And what about the pipe runs and access to them.

No you can move an appliance within the same property.

why don't you just put it where the larder unit is going to go but leave the larder unit out.

ok, so you won't have a bit of plinth? Who cares, you'll have a boiler that's easy to work on and safe as it'll be away from the doors and windows that would otherwise cause a problem.

put it in a cupboard and when it needs replacing you'll be cursing as the new kitchen gets smashed to bits.

Bit like buying a new car and putting the old engine out of your clapped out old banger into it.

No you can move an appliance within the same property.

why don't you just put it where the larder unit is going to go but leave the larder unit out.

ok, so you won't have a bit of plinth? Who cares, you'll have a boiler that's easy to work on and safe as it'll be away from the doors and windows that would otherwise cause a problem.

put it in a cupboard and when it needs replacing you'll be cursing as the new kitchen gets smashed to bits.

when I asked BR about this, they said if its a couple of feet no issue, major move internally and then they will apply current regs, so not true in N Devon

What a load of rubbish. If it moves, it moves. Its irrelevant how far. Of course you still need to apply the building regulations to the installation but there is no requirement to replace with a condensing boiler.

Taken from the domestic heating compliance guide:

Section 1.4 Replacement of primary heating appliances
In order to comply with the energy efficiency requirements of the Building Regulations, replacement appliances providing primary space heating and/or hot water in existing dwellings should meet the following conditions.

There's enough red tape within this industry as it is, without volunteering to add a bit more

i remember when when they changed the regulations in 2005 it stated that you could replace a boiler like for like and here was no requirement to change to a condensing boiler. It was so that warranty replacements and a like didn't force you into changing to a condensing boiler.

Last edited:
You cannot move a non condensing boiler outside the original footprint of the dwelling as it was when the boiler was installed. I.e build extension and move old band b boiler. Think its part if the conservation of energy bit for upgrading structure and consequential improvements.

I've hard you can't drink until your 18 either :wink:
Some things are impossible to stop.

You cannot move a non condensing boiler outside the original footprint of the dwelling as it was when the boiler was installed. I.e build extension and move old band b boiler. Think its part if the conservation of energy bit for upgrading structure and consequential improvements.

I would be interested to see or find where this is written as I've never heard or seen that mentioned anywhere before?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, thank you for the reply. It's confusing...
Replies
Views
10 o’clock / 45 degrees would be better than...
Replies
Views
Can a combi be vented through a flat roof the...
Replies
Views
It's not easy, house is also a HMO so makes...
Replies
Views
I beg to differ on that. The exhaust is the...
Replies
Views
Back