Oil Fuel pipe two storys | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Oil Fuel pipe two storys in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

smtplumbing

alright guys we have run into a little problem and we are looking for some advice.

We were renewing some damaged oil pipe work outside, renewed the pipe in coated 10mm right into the building to connect back on to the existing pipework.

to cut a long story short, we could not get the oil up to the boiler by passed the tiger loop etc still nothing stuck the burner pressure gage on it nothing so replaced the burner pressure pump still the same. Just have problem getting the fuel to the boiler changed the double check valve etc. We then bought a pressure suction hand pump which we got the fuel upstairs but boiler would not fire.

We filled a bucket with 3 " of fuel and the boiler light no problem. is there such a thing as a mechanical suction pump or have we done something wrong surely someone has had this problem before.

The tank is low its about 1/5 full but has fuel above the valve ( tank is on ground level)

any one help with this

Hi smt by the sounds of it I think what your looking for is called an oil lifter, basically its a pump to lift the oil up being as you haven't got enough head pressure from the storage tank, they aren't cheap either and you will need to fit a second fire valve etc its all in the oftec book (if you have done oftec that is)! The pump will pull oil up a bit but noway designed to pull it to the 2nd floor the burner instructions will tell you the height of the burner in relation to the oil outlet from the tank for optimum performance.

Regards

Myles

get your oftec books out, poor old boiler pump can only suck a certain height and depends on distance and pipe size, to big and it will never work, you may well have to drop to 6 or 8 mm pipe.

thing is it was working in 10mm before everything is still the same just renewed

and there is a new oil pump in now danfos and its a Worcester heat slave

rayburn I went to was working till I serviced it as well, then it died a death. if you have a nice new pump dont run it dry to long or youll knacker it very quickly, as you might have discovered. if it was damage, have you made good flared joints etc, dont take much to suck in a load of air. pressure test your pipework for starters.

Myles nailed it. Oil lift pump.

They can suck oil up to 7m and contain a small reservoir.

Just a few points -

Did you do the bypass on the new oil pump? It won't work if you didn't.
Did you fit the proper direction pump? (Left or Right hand?)
Did you ensure the new oil pipe has no high spots in it?

croppie is there something you can buy if the pipe work is longer.its the same run just does not want to lift.

Best we converted it to a one pipe system to make it lift, it was the same pump that was on it and the one in the M.I. the pipe does not look have high spots. we just need this sorted for the customer

Is there any chance a restriction is at the valve at tank - like a dirty oil filter?
You could try removing the double check valve totally to test because it might require too much suction to open it. You could then use a container of oil & use the suction oil hose to fill the tigerloop.

Last edited:
why are you using a double check valve? single will work ok as its not a pollution issue your trying to solve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Will try to upload pic again
Replies
Views
I've tidied up this thread and banned a user...
Replies
Views
All sorted now and running better than ever...
Replies
Views
S
The fusible wheel head valves are notorious...
Replies
Views
hi, no current pipework in concrete i believe...
Replies
Views
Back