Oil heating fumes | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Oil heating fumes in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

ellymay

My mother has an oil fired heating system with a condensing boiler. For the last month there has been a strong smell of fumes in the house. As she lives there she is not able to always smell it as she is used to it. When we visit the smell is very strong. It is a bit like a strong paint smell. She has had 3 different engineers out but none have been able to find a problem.

Could any one suggest the best course of action? Am I best to call OFTEC? Also are these fumes dangerous? She has a carbon monoxide tester which has not gone off. She has started to suffer from a cough and aches I didnt know if this is connected to the fumes or is she just has a cold.

Thanks

The fumes are not dangerous but obviously don't smell nice and they can cause headaches and general unwellness (pardon that word).

If you've 3 had people out to look at the boiler I can only assume it's not leaking oil within the boiler casing. The fume smell from the flue is much stronger than the smell from an oil leak but both smells are quite similar and from what you say I'd suggest it's an oil leak.

You need to trace the incoming oil feed line and look for any leaks along this line somewhere. It's possible the leak might be in the wall but it's usually on a fitting (e.g. the fire valve or the oil isolation valve).

These smells are notoriously difficult to find. It could be they're happening within the burner itself (for example the nozzle might not be tightened properly). If within the burner the engineers might not have removed it because of the heat - you need to let a burner cool down to access it (ideally!) Has it been serviced within the last year or so? If it has then the leak is likely to be in the oil line somewhere (behind a kitchen unit?). If not serviced recently then this should be the first port of call.

Apologies for the muddled reply - not hungover but too excited exploring my new Xmas present!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

As a precaution report this to the building...
Replies
Views
S
The fusible wheel head valves are notorious...
Replies
Views
And you are better looking for an experienced...
Replies
Views
Worcester used to be one of the best brands...
Replies
Views
The worst oil boiler ever to hit the market...
Replies
Views
Back