Oil smell on and off | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Oil smell on and off in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Hi again. Having successfully solved my secondary problem it’s now time to reconsider the primary fault.

my boiler smells of oil, not always but usually.
system is 25 years old and boiler is serviced annually. Metal tank in garden with Atkinson tank-master tap. Trianco boiler in utility room. Last delivery of oil just under 4 weeks ago. Smell started only 4 days ago.

Our service chap changed the jet, cleaned the flue and reset the air flap. Runs quieter but still smells. He wouldnt go further as he couldn’t isolate the oil tank as the tap was seized.

I've managed to free off the tap and fit a new filter, it was full of crud and sludge.

Oil smell still present. No sign of any leaking or sweating.

So I’m thinking there’s either a leak I can’t find, or perhaps there’s some muck in the line or solenoid preventing a perfect shut off seal, but then why does it still smell when it’s running and when it’s not running.

I intend to either get my chap out again or to look for another technician to come for a look.

Are there any other potential sources of oil smells that may be the problem.

many thanks

gary

Last edited:
Update..

Thanks to the internet, this forum and YouTube I think I have located the source of the smell. Opened the burner cover and discovered a damp patch under the pump. Blue cloth showed it was coming from the pump its self so I suspect either an O ring or other seal has failed.

New pump seems to be around £80 and honestly look hard to fit, I assume It'll need bleeding too.

Fingers crossed and any pointers very welcomed.

thanks

Similar plumbing topics

If your sure the smell only occurs when it’s...
Replies
Views
S
The fusible wheel head valves are notorious...
Replies
Views
hi, no current pipework in concrete i believe...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Could you post a picture of the shower trap...
Replies
Views
Update: I couldn't get hold of a heating...
Replies
Views
Back