Oil Tank cut off solenoid | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Oil Tank cut off solenoid in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Is it acceptable to place a cut off solenoid valve on the output of an elevated oil tank?
Reasoning being that the oil pipe goes into the house to feed the boiler, should there be a leak within the house theres a chance it may be more likely to be noticed when the boiler is on than off.
So the valve would only be open when the boiler is on.

Is it acceptable to place a cut off solenoid valve on the output of an elevated oil tank?
Reasoning being that the oil pipe goes into the house to feed the boiler, should there be a leak within the house theres a chance it may be more likely to be noticed when the boiler is on than off.
So the valve would only be open when the boiler is on.

First off yes a solenoid can be installed on the oil line, these are usually linked through a thermal link (fuse) mounted above the boiler/boilers, in the event of a fire the fuse will melt shutting the solenoid coil down. Commonly used in large buildings being fed by multiple boilers where normal gas/liquid filled fire valves aren't used.
You can I suppose use one as you intend as yes the solenoid will only be energised when there's a demand for heat and unused remains NC (normally closed). Obviously an electrical mounted externally needs to be weather sealed ie in a box.
Having said this why would you want one, have you noticed a leak or are suspicious of one?

There had been a leak for the previous owners and although repaired I see the mess it made and the possibility of an even greater mess should it fail whilst the tank is full
Whilst not needed for normal use I was just unsure if this would cause any unexpected issues.

Similar plumbing topics

L
With no pressure gauge or flue gas analyser...
Replies
Views
L
Camray 5 (90A) (20 year old) oil boiler, had a...
Replies
Views
Lincoln22
L
hi, no current pipework in concrete i believe...
Replies
Views
Tank if forty years old so think it's out of...
Replies
Views
You need a new service engineer not a new...
Replies
Views
Back