Oil Tank issue | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Oil Tank issue in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

TFGplumbing

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Okay got some customers that want a new oil boiler; they don't want to do the tank just yet as its full.

Problem is its a 2000 litre tank(full), and the tank master isolator is well.. lets just say fooked, wheel head is missing and the spindle is rusted heavily, I wouldn't like to play around with it too much as thats a lot of oil in there.
Ever ran out of space on a t133 or CD14? well I did on this particular job.

so its going to need an isolator on it, there currently is only a fusible link fire valve in the boiler casing... just don't ask, the installation fails to meet any basic safety requirements.

I don't much cherish the idea fitting and additional isolator down stream of the tank master live.

Anyone know how much on average it would cost to empty the tank via an oil supplier?

Pull a short bend in a length of 22mm. Put a tight ball of denzo tape on the short bit. Wedge the denzo ball against the tank connector on the inside of the tak and get someone to keep it there and maintain the pressure.

You can now snatch a new valve in.

I've done this before, got me out of a hole.

Do it live, have done on many occasions. Theres only so much oil you can get through a 10mm pipe (presuming it is) so you won't get to unstuck doing it.

You can buy new wheel heads for those valves on HWOS.

Just to add, I'm talking about another valve down the line, not replacing the tank set.

Last edited:
Do it live, have done on many occasions. Theres only so much oil you can get through a 10mm pipe (presuming it is) so you won't get to unstuck doing it.

You can buy new wheel heads for those valves on HWOS.

Just to add, I'm talking about another valve down the line, not replacing the tank set.

Aye yeh its 10mm, aye I would put a new wheel on it but the little groove for the E-clip has rusted away

It's a bit dissapointing when you do it the first time armed to the teeth in preparation for 'the big spill', only to realise it's not much more then a drastic trickle coming out the end of the cut pipe.

If you think about it, the oil level is only about 1.5mtrs above so 0.15bar to have to manhandle.

nought worse than taking advice and having a go, only to find yourself sat there with your thumb on the end of a pipe looking at the part you dropped 10 feet away. Use a go pro so we can all see the video, good or bad :)

That would be nothing to do with the advice, but the stupidity of the recipient. :blush5:

nought worse than taking advice and having a go, only to find yourself sat there with your thumb on the end of a pipe looking at the part you dropped 10 feet away. Use a go pro so we can all see the video, good or bad :)

aye yeh mr drop the olive, and oops ive only got the inserts that need little tap to get em in..

Ive got some de-odour spray too mind

I'am just thinking worst case, lame haha. I think I'll get 'me old dad' to do the croppie method

I never extract the proverbial.

Take Ahab for example. If I started on him I'd be here all night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

S
The fusible wheel head valves are notorious...
Replies
Views
Hi mundungus How did your boiler problem get...
Replies
Views
schubes18
S
Regulations for a fill pipe in a domestic...
Replies
Views
The worst oil boiler ever to hit the market...
Replies
Views
Plumbing forum also covers installation of oil...
Replies
Views
Back