Oil tank valve problem | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Oil tank valve problem in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

crisdinkmo

Hi. Advice needed

I have to change/clean the filter coming from my oil tank. It does not have a shut off arm but has a round knob at the end. I'm assuming I would have to trun this to cut off the oil before releasing the bowl below. Anybody know which way? photo below

Attachments

• oil.jpg
    oil.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 56
Sometimes they get stuck so be careful when taking off the filter. I don't like this design as it's not reliable so usually take out the strainer from the filter and fit a lever valve and separate filter bowl just after it.

normally the phone call goes"hi tanks been filled and the aga has gone out". So you know the filters blocked, the tank valves seized, the filter has no space under it to drop it, so out with the sds to break a hole underneath to get it off and then a prayer the valve doesnt shear ( but you have a wedge handy to hammer in the resultant hole to give you time to call the oil supplier to empty the tank!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Last time I had a valve shear on me I used a bit of 22 with a short pull on one end and a ball of Densotape on that end. Householder held it wedged in place inside the tank up against the tank connector while I snatched the valve. Worked surprisingly well and earned me a nice tip for not having to call out the oil company.

Last edited by a moderator:
Last time I had a valve shear on me I used a bit of 22 with a short pull on one end and a ball of Densotape on that end. Householder held it wedged in place inside the tank up against the tank connector while I snatched the valve. Worked surprisingly well and earned me a nice tip for not having to call out the oil company.

Nice idea I like that one might steal it some time

nothing like a bit of panic to make you think straight, being ex RN wooden wedges have always been used by them to stop water coming in holes so when I cause one I revert to type

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

what is the elevation and run length between...
Replies
Views
hi, no current pipework in concrete i believe...
Replies
Views
All sorted now and running better than ever...
Replies
Views
Do it live, ensure you will catch any spilt...
Replies
Views
Glad you have it fixed 👍
Replies
Views
Back