Old Back Boiler/Fire pipework | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Old Back Boiler/Fire pipework in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

cr0ft

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Hi all.

Those of you that know me well on here will know I always ask if I'm not sure about something!

At a customer's house doing a rewire at the moment. There existing heating system is an s-plan system with a condensing system boiler (oil) and vented hot water cylinder. There is a standard CH pump in the airing cupboard.

Whilst rewiring there house I noticed today that there's 2x 28mm gravity runs from what appears to be the back boiler behind a fire that's still in use. Not knowing much about back boilers if I'm honest, my questions are: -

1.) Is there any chance this pipework would still be connected into the CH system and live? It seems unlikely to me. I will have a route around when I lift floorboards to check. There's no sign of any 28mm pipework in the airing cupboard or near the boiler.

2.) Can I remove the pipework as long as the back boiler stays in position (I imagine it's an essential part of the fire unit?).

There is a huge amount of 28mm scrap to be removed if it's safe to do so. More importantly, it will make chasing out the walls for sockets etc much easier. I would rip it out but my only worry is why wouldn't the engineer who installed their fully pumped system remove it if it was safe to do so? I don't want to do anything that would cause any safety issues of course hence me asking first.

Thanks in advance for all replies.

Can you take a picture of the hot press please
The pump in cupboard may be for the back boiler

Where is system / oil boiler? Probably left 28s as couldn't be bothered to rip out or possibly using them as up and down ? Get system hot and see? Trace them ? I would be classifying them as loot. Under section 5 of the sticky fingers amendment to GSIUR !

Is the bbu worth much really? Other than a hernia?

if you havent got a sack truck then its time u did, never get a hearnia with little wheels to help and kg makes money

Hi all. Quick update and more advice needed if possible!

The customer's boiler is a Glow-worm floor standing boiler. It has 2x 28mm connections for gravity hot water and 2x 22mm connections for pumped central heating. There is the separate back boiler we have already talked about which also supplies hot water through the gravity hot water circuit. From what I can see the circuit is shared.

The customer wants to get rid of the back boiler as she is wanting a new fire without one.

My question is, as we are doing major work in her house at the moment and all the floorboards are coming up, can we run the boiler and convert it to a standard s-plan system using the 22mm pumped CH side only? I.E Run it as a system boiler and simply cap off the 28mm gravity feeds? I forget the model of the boiler I'm afraid, I can get it tomorrow if more info is needed.

I would like to pull out the whole gravity circuit if possible and convert the system over to s-plan to pump everything. We are rewiring all the central heating controls anyway so it wouldn't cost much more and would of course be more efficient.

Thanks in advance to all for help.

B regs like you to convert to fully pumped if upgrading, best to go s plan for those following behind you imho. Only little worry is you mention system boiler, to me means sealed sytem, but i presume you mean ov fully pumped.

Yes sorry, it's open vented fully pumped, not system. Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

when I removed the back coal saver I can now...
Replies
Views
I once had a similar experience with my old...
Replies
Views
In the back of the fireplace there will be a...
Replies
Views
I should have said "S-plan plus", of course!
Replies
Views
Back