old back boiler | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss old back boiler in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

REDSAW

ok chaps, need a little of advice for tommorrow please.!

i am going to rip out this back boiler and i was wondering if there is much asbestos in the plate seals apart from the front rope.
ie. i think there is a seal to the flue and one to the box. i am assuming this as the fire is proberbly 1950's.
by the look there is 2 gravity 2'' pipes in c/steel to the right.

any pointer would be appriciated as i have only ever taken one out previous and was totaly different to this one in appearance.
ta!.
:crazy:
Photo-0023.jpg

just get it taken out by a asbestos removal company and include the cost on the work. I wouldnt touch anything i was unsure of, seen to many plumbers go with lung cancer in recent years.

tbh red i dont know,if you go ahead soak everything with water first,wear a ffp2 mask and disposables,gloves,goggles and bin the lot afterwards

tbh red i dont know,if you go ahead soak everything with water first,wear a ffp2 mask and disposables,gloves,goggles and bin the lot afterwards

i would also bin all your clothing and chuck vacume away to be safe.

Here is a basic guide if you want to tackle it:

• Plan the work so that the asbestos material is handled as little as possible, in order to minimise the release of fibres.
  • Wear a suitable respirator, head covering, protective over-clothing(disposable over-suit), shoe covers and gloves.
  • Damp down the asbestos material thoroughly before disturbing it.
  • If dust is produced, ensure it is wet then sweep it up. Do not hoover the dust with domestic vacuum as this may spread the asbestos dust around your house. Class H, asbestos vacuumed may be hired.
  • Put all asbestos waste materials into special asbestos bags (available from licensed waste disposal centres) or double wrap the asbestos in heavy duty polythene sheets and label the outer bag as containing asbestos waste. Seal the bags.
  • Any contaminated clothing should also be bagged up, labeled, sealed, then disposed of as asbestos waste.
  • Take precautions to avoid bringing asbestos fibers into the house eg. coming indoors with contaminated clothing.
Take the bagged asbestos waste to a licensed site for disposal. It is illegal to dispose in general waste.

i watched a video once about a 38year old girl who had died because her dad had gone home from work with clothes covered in asbestos and she did the washing for pocket money as a kid. she did an interview before she died and basically said her dad had killed her, ever since then i have been very cautious about touching it.

Funny thing is, the guy works on the 'bins' and he said he will get rid of it!!!!!!

Here is the seals although one looks like fire type cement to the flue.Photo-0023A.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

In the back of the fireplace there will be a...
Replies
Views
E
It sounds like that needs to be sealed from...
Replies
Views
No, but they do come apart pretty easy. In my...
Replies
Views
Stick with heat only. You most probably still...
Replies
Views
Back