Old boiler flue advice | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Old boiler flue advice in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

diy100

Hello there. I'm new to this forum and would be grateful for a bit of advice. Myself and my girlfriend recently moved into a rented property where the landlady has had the old boiler which was in the living room replaced with a new boiler located elsewhere. Her handyman has boxed in the old hole leaving a 450mm x 15mm gap at the back for ventilation. The only problem being that there's about 2 foot of old corrugated flue dangling above this. Although not visible when it's windy we get quite a loud humming sound which i assume (i may be wrong) is this length of flue which is left free to vibrate. Common sense tells me that cutting this off where it goes into the chimney wouldn't affect ventilation and might help to reduce this noise? Any advice would be much appreciated and perhaps there might be a better solution.

Sounds like The fitter has left the old steel flue liner in the chimney. The vent at the bottom is to ventilate the brick chimney to stop condensation, I am not sure the vent fitted will do much good, unless there is an opening at the top of the chimney brickwork. All its doing is ventilating the steel liner, which is not necessary.

Best solution, is to remove the old steel flue liner and fit a pepper pot (ventilated chimney Cap) on the top of the chimney and ventilation grille on the boxing at the bottom.

:iagree: or have the chimney capped if it's no longer in use?

Cheers for the input guys. There is a ventilated cap on the chimney from what i can see. I think the sound is actually caused by the wind howling down the chimney. If we stuff the end of the pipe the sound is basically gone. Obviously that stops ventilation so maybe theres not alot we can do unless theres a safe way of sealing the old pipe but still allowing some air flow.

Ya learn something new every day :) Seen loads just boarded over and capped, maybe builders don't read building regs :lol:
no they dont, they just rip out fireplace and block it up, but regs state must be ventilated, stops condensation :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

E
It sounds like that needs to be sealed from...
Replies
Views
In the back of the fireplace there will be a...
Replies
Views
Again, ongoing thanks. I'll have to get to my...
Replies
Views
there's a leak somewhere in your pipes that...
Replies
Views
Back