old boiler i.d required | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss old boiler i.d required in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

REDSAW

heres a challenge for you,

can you identify this floor mounted boiler for me as i could not find any data plate for it, its a glow worm i believe and has a steel front hinged door.

IMG_0438.jpgView attachment 16462View attachment 16463IMG_0440.jpgIMG_0439.jpg

It is a glow worm as they were the only ones who used orange wires to the gas valve (you'll never get one). Early 70's boiler going by the valve. I've seen it before but can't think.
Do you not have a better photo of the whole boiler.

nah! the boilers been nicely tucked in by the washmachine!! so access very limited, thats the best i could get.

it was the pilot had blown out in the gales we had, the house is used as an office. i took of the inspection glass and manually re lit it as the spark generator (orange wires) was knacked and smelt of burning circuit.
does that constitute to working on the boiler? as i think it was a bit suspect on safety.
i did tell the owner and advised to get co detector and new boiler and my concern!!

btw, its dated 1964!

I wouldn't class lighting a pilot as working but last man is het these days. The old glow worms were just known as numbers like 45/52 or a 67/75 or a 52 super was another one.
Basic boiler to work on and a universal thermo will fit it if it needs one.
Talk them into a shiny new boiler that won't last a crack and hopefully they will die before it breaks down :lol:

It's a Gloworm sunrod, with a 24v honeywell gas valve, that used to pi55 gas out out the knob spindle as soon as you moved them, well obsolete, I have a adapted a valve to fit in the past, with a pilot tube kit and new T/C , would do now, it's so old

I wouldn't class lighting a pilot as working but last man is het these days. The old glow worms were just known as numbers like 45/52 or a 67/75 or a 52 super was another one.
Basic boiler to work on and a universal thermo will fit it if it needs one.
Talk them into a shiny new boiler that won't last a crack and hopefully they will die before it breaks down :lol:

Must admit when ive fitted combi's into older people,s houses and took out free standers i do shudder a bit when they say''never let me down in 30 years''

I hate to say it but the only boiler available at the moment that I can see lasting 20+ years (providing pasts are still available) are the intergas.

had to work on a 30 year old mexico tonight,4 hours to change the gas valve because some bellend had run the return in line with the gas connect it was a right pita i had only allowed 1.5 hours :32::32::32:

If we are all honest i'd bet there is not one amongst who could truly hand on heart recommend changing a good condition mexico or even a bbu or any other cast iron boiler for a condenser.
Yes they may only be running 50 - 60 % efficient but add up the numbers.
Say the average gas bill is £1000 with one of these boilers (mines is more than that with a class A). Your customer spend 2 - 3k changing the boiler for an annual saving on gas of maybe £200 (being optimistic). Payback time 10 - 15 years. Take into account that they now need to get it serviced every year (£80 or whatever) whereas the old one could easily go 5 years between servicing then when it breaks down (it will undoubtedly) you are looking at a couple of hundred a time.
The numbers will never add up and doing it for the environment is stupid.

I admit i am a charlatan and feel guilty sometimes for what i do.

Right, now that is off my chest i hope you all get out there and fleece everyone you can because we all need to make a living and installs is where the money still is :lol:

If we are all honest i'd bet there is not one amongst who could truly hand on heart recommend changing a good condition mexico or even a bbu or any other cast iron boiler for a condenser.
Say the average gas bill is £1000 with one of these boilers (mines is more than that with a class A). Your customer spend 2 - 3k changing the boiler for an annual saving on gas of maybe £200 (being optimistic). Payback time 10 - 15 years. Take into account that they now need to get it serviced every year (£80 or whatever) whereas the old one could easily go 5 years between servicing then when it breaks down (it will undoubtedly) you are looking at a couple of hundred a time.

Right, now that is off my chest i hope you all get out there and fleece everyone you can because we all need to make a living and installs is where the money still is :lol:

If that ever gets out we're fluxed. This post needs burying very deep!

Tamz i think we are destined to be buddies

Funny this thread has come up as i got called out on boxing day to a boiler off. Gaffer said its a customer we have looked after for years. When i pulled up at the house i remembered being there as an apprentice. Anyway i have never touched the boiler but new it was older than me. Luckily universal thermocouple got the boiler back to normal but as i was leaving……… i got the question off the old couple about replacing the boiler :banghead:. Knowing one of our lads serviced it in october and ringing me saying iv never seen something so old and working so good i gave my advice and said contact my gaffer he will talk you through different options. Im giving it till 2nd week in jan till i walk in the office an get……. "remember that boiler breakdown boxing day?"… go change it loll!:sosp:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Thanks for both replies - so the search is on...
Replies
Views
Thanks for this, much appreciated. Andrew
Replies
Views
A decent water pressure and flow will be...
Replies
Views
External hounsfield heat only. If you really...
Replies
Views
Which Vaillant boiler is it?
Replies
Views
Back