*old* central heating system - no filling loop? | Central Heating Forum | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss *old* central heating system - no filling loop? in the Central Heating Forum area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

techsnake

Hi all,

Excuse my ignorance, I'm not a plumber, but going mad trying to work out what's going on with the pressure in the central heating system..

The pressure is less than 1 bar, and I can't find the filling loop anywhere! It's driving me crazy! I've been up in the loft to check to see if it can be topped up up there, and there's just an old water tank that has been dry for what looks like decades. No other water tanks in the loft.. There's an immersion heater in one of the upstairs bedrooms, but there are no clues in the pipe-work there for topping up the central heating system.

It's a combi-boiler that must be really old - A Worcester 24i. I've checked online to try and find a manual for it, but I'm out of luck - all of the manuals are for modern combi-boilers :(

Does anyone know if a filling loop was required 20-odd (or more) years ago? I've checked inside the boiler, opened it up, and there are 2 screw-type valvues. One's red, with 3-bar, which I guess is to release pressure if it's too high. The other one's blue, but when you twist it, it starts spitting out water!!

I'm really lost - I've had a look underneath the boiler and in a small cupboard where the cold-water feed comes from (wth a stop-cock) but still no obvious way to top it up!! Don't know what to do - is the boiler safe at a low pressure, or is it just inefficient??

Thanks everyone - if anyone can help it would be really appreciated..

if you have no filling loop with this boiler then the chancers are that you will have a filling key. this will be on the back side of the bottom pannel.
this should slot in the bottom of the boiler next to where the mains enters.
hope this helps

I think they come with a plastic key with 2 "O" rings on that you push up into tube and lock in place then turn little white plastic block to fill heating circuit, then shut off and remove plastic key. Usually attached to panel under boiler.

or check the floorboards under the boiler, my mother in laws' has just caused me the same headache !

it will be external filling loop,you find may have be fitted in rigid pipe,have good look around boiler there will be one near,very unlikely to be away from boiler,as you need to see pressure rise as you fill it,to know when to stop

Thanks everyone for your help - really appreciate it. :)

There is a filling loop, it was hidden inside some wood panelling on the wall believe it or not! After getting the screwdriver out and following the pipes it revealed itself at last!

Thanks again, and the manual is really useful! :D

Cheers, Paul.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

If you are paranoid, refill, circulate and...
Replies
Views
It has dropped after isolating. Bugger
Replies
Views
it is brand new ( 6 months old ) Worcester gas...
Replies
Views
losing pressure
L
Can central heating / gas engineer expert help...
Replies
Views
B
Context for issue: I'd like to start by...
Replies
Views
Butchy10
B
Back