Old cistern/syphon advice? | UK Plumbers Forums | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Old cistern/syphon advice? in the UK Plumbers Forums area at Plumbers Forums

macka09

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Hi guys

I’ve tried to help out an old neighbour tonight with his toilet (low level cistern) as it had stopped flushing.

On inspection it was the diaphragm had split so I’d managed to get a new one, brilliant.

Problem is though, the existing syphon didn’t have a washer between the syphon and cistern??? Not even silicon or paste to be seen. 40 years this has been like it and I’ve never worked on a toilet without a washer. Plus, the flush pipe has one those really weird boot on that wraps on to the toilet. I thought it was rubber but it feels more like a hard plastic.

So I grabbed a new washer which was too thick and stopped the compression but on the flush pipe from being nipped up. So I decided to try it without the washer and it weeps constantly.

As I say, its a 40yr old loo but I’m trying to help so it’s not a chargeable job.

Anyone have any advice other than to change the whole thing?

I’ll attach a picture of the flush boot as I really don’t want to disturb it.

Cheers

Attachments

• IMG_1121.jpeg
    IMG_1121.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 293
Would it be possible to get a picture of the syphon (and an internal one as well) as it passes through the cistern? The reason being that low level cistern syphons normally have a long tail (thread) to accommodate not only the jam nut but also the flush pipe nut. The boot you refer too is called an external flush pipe connector and they are soft (ish) rubber but they do tend to harden up over the years and if disturbed it's a new replacement.

Personally I would replace the whole syphon for a modern one where the internal part can be removed without taking the whole thing out. I'm assuming it's a lever handle type syphon? If you don't want to spend on a new syphon then try a good amount of plumbers mate around the bottom of the syphon or hemp and paste, if you fancy real old school plumbing then putty and gloss paint. Don't use silicon sealant because it's not designed for that type of job.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Would it be possible to get a picture of the syphon (and an internal one as well) as it passes through the cistern? The reason being that low level cistern syphons normally have a long tail (thread) to accommodate not only the jam nut but also the flush pipe nut. The boot you refer too is called an external flush pipe connector and they are soft (ish) rubber but they do tend to harden up over the years and if disturbed it's a new replacement.

Personally I would replace the whole syphon for a modern one where the internal part can be removed without taking the whole thing out. I'm assuming it's a lever handle type syphon? If you don't want to spend on a new syphon then try a good amount of plumbers mate around the bottom of the syphon or hemp and paste, if you fancy real old school plumbing then putty and gloss paint. Don't use silicon sealant because it's not designed for that type of job.

Good luck.
Thanks for the reply.

I didn’t get a photo I’m afraid. It’s just a standard 9” flush syphon without an internal overflow. The thread isn’t as long as a modern one, so when I added the washer it made the compression nut bottom out on the syphon nut. The flush boot was definitely rock hard which was why I didn’t mess with it.

I still can’t believe it’s held tight all these years without a washer or some type of jointing compound.

If I could find a thin flat syphon washer that would be great I reckon. I did contemplate using some plumbers gold.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
You might find it just needs a bit of use
Replies
Views
  • Question
Having thought about it i'm sure there is a...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Thanks, that's all I needed to know. I...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Thanks - I've reseated the bellows and problem...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Try fitting a doughnut onto it.
Replies
Views
Back