Old glow worm boiler is kettling | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Old glow worm boiler is kettling in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

obseen16

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Hi all, went to take a look at a boiler the other day as the customer complained it was noisy, i found it was noisy as it was kettling and getting to high temp so fast that the boiler is cutting out within 5 mins of it being lit,

Its an old glow worm open flued boiler cant remember the model tho. my suspicion is that the heat exchanger is badly scaled up or the burner pressure is way to high. is there any way of being able to descale it i.e de-scaler chemicals. but without causing to much damage in the process, its an ancient boiler but the customers are also very old and havent got the money to replace the boiler, i dont want to waste their money on trying to de scale it if its not possible to do so.

anyone got any advice on solutions to this little problem, or any other reasons for the boiling noises?

old people, no money,? if so without being rude, they should qualify for a warm front grant. theyeither know this or you could inform them.
if its not the case i think there just b****stng you about the money issue.
just a thought.

ps no i dont know how to de-scale it, sorry.

Yes you can descale them try Fernox or Sentinel sites for details. But as Redsaw said, they should perhaps qualify for a new boiler or a repair under the Warm Front scheme.

old people, no money,? if so without being rude, they should qualify for a warm front grant. theyeither know this or you could inform them.
if its not the case i think there just b****stng you about the money issue.
just a thought.

ps no i dont know how to de-scale it, sorry.

There are thousands of old people with no or little capital who have a small private pension which with basic state pension puts them just above the benefits level,who will not qualify for any grant at all

Check the pumps pumping, if it is then the heat exchanger is most likely blocked or there is a blockage somewhere on the system which is stopped complete flow of water or its just reeealllyy slow.

mate i think your stuffed i had the same problem in the week and we got nowhere and they have to have a new boiler or a cold winter. i wouldnt waste your time. it probably due to sludge and scale the downside to the one we done was it is primatic

There are thousands of old people with no or little capital who have a small private pension which with basic state pension puts them just above the benefits level,who will not qualify for any grant at all

stand by my knowledge hamish,
they have more than £8k in the bank and are on a private pension above £250 pw. = they can afford new boiler perhaps not if they live in a 20 bed house.

state pension less than £8k in bank = heating grant.

anything else a contribution to repairs is available.
this comes from living experience not hear say.

cheers for the advice fellas, ill probably send them in the direction of warm front to see if they can have a grant for a system put in or somet, :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

A decent water pressure and flow will be...
Replies
Views
Hey John, Sorry getting back to you so late...
Replies
Views
Hi - I found the fault. There are two actuator...
Replies
Views
If the overheat thermostat has tripped, it...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Update: I put up with the kettling noise for...
Replies
Views
Back