Old metal waste pipe | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Old metal waste pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

lucas121

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
I've got a customer that has a leaking trap on his bathroom basin.

The trap and pipe work is quite old and made out of metal. Due to poor access and everything being painted I could not confirm which metal it was or what size. It looked roughly the same size as 32mm plastic.

Would I be able to just swap the old metal trap for a plastic one? Would 32mm compression fittings work on the pipe or would I have to replace all pipe work to the stack? Would the plastic trap fit the waste or do I need a new one of those too?

Excuse my naivety, have never worked on metal drainage ofther then when ripping out a suit.

Thanks.

it prob will be copper, ive always used a comp fitting

Could be copper, Galv, or lead.

Compression will work on lead and copper but with Galv you're better of unwinding it from a suitable joint and use an adaptor

As said its most likely to be copper,

Ive always used compression when not replacing if its lead or copper,
And If your worried about the waste being a different size just make sure you've got one in the van

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
That’s a good solution. But at £150 compared...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Looks like a 35mm Male Iron threaded into that...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Thanks. I've found a rubber one so will give...
Replies
Views
  • Question
So have started fitting all the bits together...
Replies
Views
If the coupling fits, then no need for what I...
Replies
Views
Back